CRS Uganda has a vibrant portfolio of projects, serving hundreds of thousands of people each year. Projects currently focus on agriculture and value chains, health, microfinance, systems strengthening, youth, and humanitarian response and recovery, and are funded by USAID, CDC, the United Nations, and private foundations. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including international and local NGOs, Ugandan government departments and ministries, the Catholic Church, and community-based organizations for maximum impact and sustainability. CRS Uganda employs around 190 staff and has its main office in Kampala, with sub-offices in Moroto, Yumbe, and Hoima.
You will contribute to providing strategic direction and management of the Country Program’s (CP’s) programming complementing the Head of Programming (HOP) efforts at ensuring the esta blishment and successful implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. Your portfolio will include leading the country’s sizeable and growing agricultural programs, as well significant business development, monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning responsibilities. Your management and programming skills will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming.
* Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or relevant field.
* Minimum of 8 years work experience in a program management position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO.
* Good experience in project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., preferably for projects funded by multip le public donors, including USAID.
* Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
* Experience in agricultural programming is preferred.
Required Languages – List languages required to perform the job
Travel – include percentage of required travel, if applicable. Could be stated as Must be willing and able to travel up to 20%, primarily in Uganda.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
* Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Team leadership abilities
* Prese ntation and facilitation skills
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
* Excellent English writing skills.
* Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
* Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
* Some experience and abilities in capacity strengthening – developing curricula and facilitating trainings.
* Experience using MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, and knowledge sharing networks.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desir ed results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise up to 5 project directors, technical advisors, and program managers.
Key Working Relationships:
* Internal: Head of Programs, Business Development Specialist, Program Quality Program Manager, MEAL Manager.
* External: Donors, Partners, and other key stakeholders.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitmen t to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.