Under the direct supervision of the UNFPA Representative, the Deputy Representative plays the leading role in the coordination, planning and monitoring of the delivery of the UNFPA country programme. The CO office operates in highly complex operating environment with large volume of human and financial resources and complexity of operations. As cluster lead for programme delivery, the Deputy Representative is managing the activities, the budgets and staff under the country offices’ integrated field support, the monitoring and evaluations of it its activities. In close collaboration with the International Operations Manager, the Representative acts as Chief Fund Code manager and oversees budgets as they relate to programme implementation. As second most-senior officer in the Country Office, the Deputy Representatives provides supervision, coaching and strategic guidance to a number of senior international and national staff.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Qualifications and Experience
Master’s degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, Development studies, Economics, Management and Public Administration or other related field is required.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development including programme designing, appraising and management; of which at least 8 years in the field of population and development, sexual and reproductive health or humanitarian at the international level
- Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities
- Experience at national and international level in advocacy and policy dialogue
- Excellent media/communication skills to foster engaged partnerships and to maintain political partnerships in the assigned country
- Proven ability to lead teams to achieve demonstrable and high quality results
- Experience in international development, particularly in the mandate of UNFPA and dedication to the principles of the United Nations;
- Field experience is essential; experience from a developing, humanitarian context is an asset.
Fluent spoken and written English is essential.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click “Apply Now” below.