Under the direct supervision of the UNFPA Representative, the Deputy Representative plays the leading role in the coordination, planning and monitioring of the delivery of the UNFPA country programme. The CO office operates in highly complex operating environment with large volume of human and financial resources and complexity of operations. As cluster lead for porgramme delivery, the Deputy Representative is managing the activities, the budgets and staff under the country offices’ integrated field support, the monitoring and evaluations of it its activities. In close collaboration with the International Operations Manager, the Representative acts as Chief Fund Code manager and oversee budgets as they relate to programme implementation. As second senior most officer in the Country Office, the Deputy Representatives provides supervision, coaching an strategic guidance to a number of senior international and national staff.
Under overall guidance of the Representative, the UNFPA Deputy Representative plays a leading role in strengthening the Country’s capacity to implement the ICPD Programme of Action within the context of its national development efforts for the achievement of the SDGs, thus ensuring national ownership. S/He is primarily responsible for the formulation and delivery of the UNFPA Country programme, projecting the programme of the organization, promoting at the national level the goals of the programme and ensuring the integration of issues of population, sexual and reproductive health, and gender in the broader development agenda. The Deputy Representative plays a senior leadership role also within the UNFPA country team, providing an example of creative programme development and sharing knowledge and insights with staff to facilitate broad country programme management.
Qualifications and Experience
Master’s degree in Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, Development studies, Economics, Management and Public Administration or other related field is required.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 10 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development including programme designing, appraising and management; of which at least 8 years in the field of population and development, sexual and reproductive health or humanitarian at the international level
- Demonstrated ability to refine programme design to ensure alignment of organizational programme objectives to national priorities/capacities
- Experience at national and international level in advocacy and policy dialogue
- Excellent media/communication skills to foster engaged partnerships and to maintain political partnerships in the assigned country
- Proven ability to lead teams to achieve demonstrable and high quality results
- Experience in international development, particularly in the mandate of UNFPA and dedication to the principles of the United Nations;
- Field experience is essential; experience from a developing, humanitarian context is an asset.
Fluent spoken and written English is essential.
To view the complete job description and apply to this position, click “Apply Now” below.