Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
District Activity Officer
LOCATION: Ntoroko, Kibaale, Rakai
Summary: The District Activity Officer (DAO) will support different districts per cluster in building capacity and offering technical assistance to public facilities and drug shops/pharmacies to ensure quality service delivery, compliance, timely reporting. The DAO will work closely with the FPA team to identify capacity needs and draw strategies to address those needs. They will work closely with service delivery points and communities to ensure gender concerns are addressed.
Key Job Outcomes:
- Work with the Cluster Manager to plan and implement for FPA interventions based on need and gaps specific to district activities.
- Work with the FPA team, districts and other partners to accomplish planned tasks on schedule and timely reporting
- Work (as appropriate) with health facility staff, youth leaders, VHTs, data officers and peer educators in quality data collection and reporting.
- Working with health facility staff, youth leaders, VHTs, and partners ensure capacity needs of the different stakeholders are addressed without affecting service delivery
- Support FPA field team in working with health facility staff, youth leaders, VHTs, and any community groups in ensuring effective referrals to reduce service delivery gaps while increasing FP/RH/ASRH service uptake especially among first time mothers and low parity women.
- Organizing and conducting mentorship sessions, OJTs and any other trainings as appropriate with the district trainers, to ensure continuity of service delivery including selection of the right target groups
- Working with the cluster managers, maintain healthy relationships with the District Local Governments, District Health Teams and other partners mainly through coordination activities
- Support the field team to document success stories and impact innovations for learning, sharing and publication
- Closely working with the SBCC manager and cluster managers participate in developing of social and behavior change communication strategies for FPA
- Supporting the team under the cluster managers’ oversight, prepare quality and timely activity and monthly reports covering high impact innovations FPA’s interventions and success stories.
- Working closely with the cluster manager, ensure compliance to USAID FP activities at all levels
- Working with the Cluster manager and M&E officers, identify data needs and gaps; develop strategies on capacity building through mentorship, DQAs to ensure compliance to donor guidelines
- Working with the FPA team and partners, contribute to the research and learning agenda activities and documentation
- Participate in activity monitoring for FPA interventions
Minimally Required Job-Specific Competencies:
- Excellent report writing skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills, and ability to maintain strong relationships across different cultures, with district and community structures
- Personal integrity with an honest and open personal style;
- Good community mobilization skills
- Ability to prioritize work according to importance and deadline while meeting conflicting work demands
- Ability to work effectively in a team and support others in their work.
- Familiarity with the political, social, economic and cultural context of working in the Districts.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
- Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, Outlook. Advanced knowledge of functional area specific software.
- Project Management Planning and Management: Ability to plan and manage cross-functional initiatives.
- Analysis and Sound Judgement: Foundational analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using local language and English language
- Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights: Foundational knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services, including program strategies and indicators. Foundational knowledge of assigned business unit’s function and deliverables supporting sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
- Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. Proven customer service skills.
- Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
- Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related matters.
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- University Degree in Public health, Development Studies, Social Sciences, or related health fields.
- Proven expertise in capacity building preferably in health
- 3+ years of experience working with SRH program, two of which should be in family planning.
- Knowledge of the local language in any of the areas (Buganda, Bunyoro, Tooro) will be an added advantage
- Ability to ride a motor bike
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.