Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
Job Title: Economist
Organization: Ministry of Health
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Commissioner –Planning, Financing and Policy Department
The Ministry of Health (MOH) is supported by USAID through Uganda Health System Strengthening (UHSS) Activity to strengthen its human resource capacity. The objective of the support is to improve human resource capacity development with a focus on policy, planning, budget preparation, management, and execution process.
The Economist to be recruited under this support will be contracted by UHSS Project but will be based at MOH under the overall guidance of the commissioner-Planning, Financing and Policy Department and day to day supervision of the Assistant Commissioner, Budget and Finance.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Economist will provide technical assistance to MOH on health sector financing models and building capacity for fund mobilization, budgeting, reporting and value for money evaluation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical input to the design and formulation of sector policies, strategies, plans and projects.
- Undertake research on health financing models and development financing models that support achievement of the health sector goals.
- Support the preparation of Budget Framework Papers and the Ministerial Policy Statements within the health Sector.
- Support the preparation of annual work plans, budget estimates, recruitment plans, procurement plans and other relevant budget supporting documentation.
- Participate in LGBFP workshops/meetings and prepare the issues paper for consideration by management.
- Support the quarterly expenditure limit and warranting processes within the Ministry.
- Liaise with the Division of Accounts and the office of the Account General regarding releases to MOH and remittances to the local governments.
- Actively support the sector budget working group, finance committee and other performance review meetings.
- Assisting in the preparation of quarterly and annual performance reports for MOH.
- Assisting in the analysis of budget performance monitoring reports for the vote and the sector.
- Produce comprehensive semi-annual report of the health sector financing reports.
- Support the annual production of the National Health Account (NHA), Joint Annual Review and other reviews such as Public Expenditure Review (PER) for the sector.
- Support sector institutions with costing initiatives, programmes and proposals
- Implement capacity building plans for key budget formulation and execution stakeholders within the health sector.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time. Required Qualifications:
- Honors degree in public policy, economics, statistics, or Social Sciences (with Economics major) from a recognized University /Institution.
- 3-5 years of hands-on working experience in a highly competitive service delivery sector.
- Extensive work experience and understanding of the health sector.
- Must have a good understanding of the health system, macro-aspects of the national economy, familiarity with the Public Finance Management Act, health financing landscape in Uganda and impact on health development and the population in general.
- Post graduate qualification in a related field is an added advantage.
- Experience in Monitoring and evaluation or research is an added advantage.