Environment and Energy Officer, DanChurchAid Kiryandongo Office, Uganda
DanChurchAid (DCA) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Environment and Energy Officer in Kiryandongo, West Nile, Uganda.
Working under the leadership of the Energy and Environment Manager, Environment and Energy Officer will ensure the implementation of all Energy and Environment interventions in the areas of operation. He/she is responsible for roll-out and implementation of project activities and facilitate quality impact-focus interventions. He/she will be responsible for the development, ongoing support, continuing development, and daily technical backstopping of all Energy and Environment activities under DCA in Kiryandongo. He/she will also work closely with all team members, partners, counterparts and stakeholders in ensuring project outputs are of the highest quality and that expected results are achieved in a timely and efficient manner.
Position Responsibilities and Duties:
- Together with the Project Manager, resolve issues and make decisions regarding criteria for identification, selection, verification and graduation of beneficiaries targeted for the Environment and Energy Project.
- Participate in assessments to identify gaps and opportunities to strengthen and expand Environment interventions in Kiryandongo.
- Support in the designing of appropriate interventions appropriate to Kiryandongo context to improve charcoal production such as deployment of improved production technologies; switch to alternative sources of biomass, etc.; including reforestation programs.
- Participate in the research and design of current stove designs/models to suit user demands in terms of fuel type, access and cooking practices in both refugee camps and hosting communities.
- Engage with relevant staff to put in place a detailed implementation plan for the Environment and Energy Project
- Design systems and ensure accountability specifically to refugees, local communities, Office of the Prime Minister (OPM), donors and other stakeholders.
- Closely follow up on day to day implementation of Environment and Energy Project activities and take corrective action to achieve key result indicators and goals as specified in the work plan.
- Ensure quality of project outputs through regular supervision and monitoring.
- Ensure that the project beneficiaries i.e. refugees and host communities, are participating as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
- In collaboration with data management and monitoring and evaluation officer, put in place project field monitoring plan, tools and project database and ensure the database is updated regularly with project information.
- Provide timely, high quality project progress reports both for DCA internal and donor requirements
- Collect lessons learned, best practices, cases studies and support knowledge management
- Provide capacity building training to staff and stove producers/entrepreneurs on improved charcoal production technology including construction/development of carbonization units, production of training Manual and User Manuals.
- Identify, develop and upscale business opportunities along the Fuel-efficient cook stoves value chain.
- Guide the team to ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and consistent with DCA’s relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Represent DCA at camp and zonal level in relevant forums pertaining to Environment and Energy and uphold good partnership with stakeholders and local partners according to DCA principals and core values.
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelor of Science Renewable Energy, Environmental Science, Natural Resources, agriculture, forestry or a degree in a related field with commensurate work experience;
- Minimum of five years of experience in related work
- Knowledge and experience in livelihood work are a strong added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently;
- S/he should have a passion for environment conservation
- Experience of working with Humanitarian Sector
- Possess a valid riding permit
DCA’s Uganda Programme
DCA has supported development and humanitarian programs in Uganda since 1979, working in partnership with local partners. DCA is a member of the ACT Alliance. Our key competencies in Uganda are livelihoods and food security, humanitarian response and civil society. For more information please visit https://www.danchurchaid.org/where-we-work/uganda
Contract length is up to December 2021 with possibility of extension.
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter via the application link provided.
Deadline for applying is 11th November 2020.
DCA offers a salary package (salary, insurance, and pension) in accordance to experience and DCA Uganda HR Manual.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer and all interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status and religious, political or ethnic affiliation.
While we appreciate your interest to work with DCA, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.