Silent Voices Uganda is pleased to announce our 2020 African Theatre Directors Apprenticeship Program.
In its 5th Birthdate and 3rd Continental Edition, Silent Voices Uganda’s Theatre Directors Apprenticeship Program continues with its BOLD, COMPETITIVE, and FIERCE Africa Experience!!
Due to program running resource constraints, the program was originally started in 2016 to bridge the theatre practicum gap in Uganda’s limited and limiting performing arts training. After two local editions, we received numerous emails from across the African continent with moving suggestions of how to make the limited resources serve the entire continent. So, we took the program continental in 2018; and now in its 3rd Continental Edition.
Open to aspiring and beginner theatre directors, who are residents and practitioners on the African continent, the program is a 2-months crash course that trains and mentors 10 theatre directing apprentices in a hands-on directing and related production activities under the auspices of Silent Voices Uganda’s Productions. It aims to develop an internationally competitive Africa theatre director under the patronages of Silent Voices Uganda, by the end of the program.
The apprenticeship is not a college-like training environment but rather a hybrid of college-like training and learning on the job training approaches with more focus on learning on the job approaches. Aspiring and beginner theatre directors are challenged to develop directorial concepts, pitch, collaborate with production designers and other production related artists and direct scenes from Silent Voices Uganda’s production for the year that showcases to a paying audience, hence keeping the company’s established high quality production brand.
This training approach not only equips directors in learning how to be a great sole director, but also in co-directing projects; yet keeping within the aesthetics of a particular production as is normally the case with TV Series productions that engage several directors in directing different episodes of the show.
In line with our goal to reach broader global creative market, through training and development of high quality critical thinking theatre production, Silent Voices Uganda is inviting interested individuals to apply for this innovative, hands-on theatre experience.
The program is open to all aspiring and/or beginner theatre directors based and practicing in Africa, who:
- Have a Degree or Diploma in the Performing Arts and related fields such as Industrial Art, Literature, Media and Mass communication, etcetera OR;
- Have at least 2 years’ Experience working in the performing arts (theatre, film, Television and storytelling), FOR APPLICANTS WITH A DEGREE/DIPLOMA IN OTHER FIELDS OR;
- Have at least 3 years’ Experience working in the performing arts (theatre, film, Television and storytelling), FOR APPLICANTS WITH NO DEGREE/DIPLOMA.
- Are Between the Ages of 25-45.
- Can comprehend and express themselves in English.
- Can Commit Full Time for the duration of 2 months (June 1st – August 3rd 2020).
- Can Travel and Live in Kampala, Uganda.
NOTE: Currently Enrolled Students Are Not Eligible; But Can Apply for Directing Internships.
How to Apply
Must Submit All of the Following Materials Directly to: email@example.com
- Cover letter/ Application, (1 page)
- Statement of Interest/Motivation Letter (1 page). This is a statement that explains why you would like to be considered for this apprenticeship; what and how you hope to benefit from the apprenticeship; how the apprenticeship fits into your career; and what and how you would contribute to the apprenticeship.
- Biography, no more than 250 words (NOT a CV or Resume)
- Professionally taken (High Quality Portfolio/Creative) Head shot of yourself (300DPI)
NOTE: Please Send All Documents as Independent Attachments; and Do Not Send Any Other Document Not Requested!!
The Application opened January 13th 2020. Submission window is between January 13th and March 13th 2020. The deadline for submission is March 13th 2020 at 11:59 pm EAT (East African Time).
Applicants will be notified by March 30th 2020.
NOTE: Please This Apprenticeship is for Aspiring and/or Beginner Theatre Directors NOT Film. We Are NOT Interested in Hearing Flowery Essays About Your Filmmaking Dreams. If You Are Interested in Filmmaking, Please Apply to the Various Powerful Film Programs.
Inquiries / Questions