Technical coordination and supervision for EWB-USA engineering projects in rural communities in Uganda.
· Junior Engineer (civil, environmental, hydraulic engineering), or related to construction works.
· 1 year experience in activities related to residence or implementation of civil works, or having worked in areas related to civil, electromechanical, environmental, sanitation or hydraulic works.
· Community management.
· Driver’s license.
Technical and Administrative Responsibilities
· Document technical information regarding the assigned projects.
· Support the control, billing and monitoring of activities that are involved in the projects.
· Supervise the list, cost and quality of the materials and equipment to be used on site.
· Make requirements for labor, materials and equipment, according to the technical specifications and work schedule.
· Manage resources for the execution of works within the specified period, controlling delays.
· Carry out the trips and activities that are necessary for the efficient execution of the different programs assigned by the organization.
· Manage and supervise compliance with occupational safety standards, required by Ugandan regulations.
· Evaluate the field conditions, perform the respective work permits that imply some risk condition, assign the appropriate PPE and control its use.
· Manage computer packages, Office, Autocad or similar.
· Manage schedules of the activities to be carried out according to the assigned programs and projects.
· Critical thinking and problem solving.
· Manage current regulations related to design and construction in Uganda.
· Preparation of reports, both for presentation to teams abroad and the local office.
· Give support and follow-up to the management of economic and physical resources assigned to each project
· Know and understand the scope of the current Technical Specifications and Standards that will be related to the type of work and place of execution of the projects.
· Prepare “Post Construction” plans once the work is finished.
· Take preventive and corrective measures, which are necessary to ensure safety in the assigned work.
· Communicate and coordinate with communities, teams, and local partners throughout the project cycle.
· Visit potential new communities and implements community selection process, in collaboration with the Regional Coordinator.
· Provide team logistical support including arranging in-country lodging, transportation, food, water, hired services, etc.
· Assist teams with material purchase and delivery arrangements
· Establish and maintains relationships with local vendors and service providers
· Respond to chapters’ technical requests regarding materials availability in country, quotes, local construction standards and regulations, as well as any additional technical needs.
· If necessary, provides technical guidance to local partners.
· Communicate any changes in national construction regulations or requirements to chapters.
· Supervise project implementation in the field.
· Collaborate with Program Engineer to ensure the quality of projects.
· When requested, accompany the chapter during the project implementation to ensure the local protocols are followed.
· Provide guidance to chapters to make the necessary changes in designs regarding unit measure conversions, local material names, and appropriate substitutions, when necessary.
How to apply
Engineers Without Borders-USA is dedicated to our team members’ development and their success. We aspire for all employees to be fulfilled through their work and their contributions to an organization working to provide long-term sustainable solutions to the world’s most vulnerable people. EWB-USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on any basis.
To apply, please prepare a cover letter and resume/cv describing why your background, skills and experience are relevant for this particular position and click on the following link:
Be sure to apply by the closing date of 31 March 2020. Due to the number of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.*