Finance Specialist – ILRI Uganda
On behalf of the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), the Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT is now seeking for a qualified candidate to serve as a Finance Specialist. Both ILRI and Bioversity International are CGIAR Research Centres.
For further information on ILRI, consult the website at: http://www.ilri.org
Under the supervision of the Country Representative – ILRI, the incumbent will be responsible for providing overall support to a comprehensive array of finance and administrative operations, such as cash management, budget management reports, and payments administration.
Under the supervision of the Country Representative- ILRI, the Finance Specialist will provide administrative support for the work of the Office. More specifically he/she will:
- Cash management.
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliation by 2nd of every month and follow up on any reconciling items.
- Prepare quarterly cash projections and seek the approvals before submitting to Head office for payment.
- Prepare monthly petty cash reconciliation and submit approved petty cash certificate to Headquarters by 2nd of every month including supporting documentation per policy
- Monitor expenses of the host organization’s account and ensure that invoices are submitted and paid on time as per hosting agreement between Bioversity and ILRI.
- Reporting, budgets and workplans
- Ensure that expenses are coded correctly and charged to the correct project code
- Liaise with the host organization to obtain monthly report on time, review for accuracy, code and post in the financial system.
- Prepare monthly reports for country projects and submit to the country representative for review.
- Generate ageing report for staff and commercial suppliers, follow up on long outstanding items.
- Assist the country representative in budget proposal preparations.
- Coordinate with program managers to monitor spend rate for projects expenditures
- Payments, Record Keeping and travel management
- Ensure that payments are fully supported as per institution policies
- Initiate the payment process and submit for approval.
- Book the payments in the financial system, attach soft copy of the supporting documents and notify the Finance Manager/Officer at the headquarters for posting.
- File copies of the supporting documents and submit the originals at the end of the month to the headquarters for filing.
- Review travel advance request for country staff and in accordance with policy and ensuring that all expenses are supported by receipts and scanned copies attached in the financial system (OCS).
- Coordinate with the Finance Manager at the headquarters to have country prequalified vendors accounts created in the financial system (OCS)
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications and competencies
Essential qualifications & competencies
- Advanced degree in Finance, Business Administration or related fields
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience in similar positions or in a closely related field
- Strong knowledge in budget management
- Wide knowledge in financial operations for the non-for-profit sector
- Ability to work independently with little supervision, but also lead and participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality
- Strong attention to detail and maintaining a timely and efficient workflow
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to establish trustworthy professional relationships
- A strong service orientation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High level of computer skills, ability to handle complex situations and high volume of information
Desirable qualifications & competencies
- Professional Accounting qualification e.g. CPA, ACCA or equivalent
- Work experience in an international environment
Terms and conditions:
This is a locally recruited position and all benefits are denominated and paid in Ugandan Shillings. The Alliance Bioversity CIAT remuneration package includes a competitive salary, leave provisions and medical insurance. The initial contract will be for a period of three years, subject to a probationary period of one year and is renewable based on performance and availability of funds.
Please apply online through the Alliance Job Opportunities website ( https://www.bioversityinternational.org/jobs/ ) no later than July 3 / 2020, attaching a letter of application with names and email addresses of at least three referees, and a curriculum vitae, both in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT is an equal opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity.