CURE is seeking candidates for a Storyteller position at its hospital in Mbale, Uganda.
The Storyteller’s primary responsibilities involve the capturing, authoring, and uploading of media to support the CUREkids Program as well as other communications meant for use on the internet and in print for both the CURE Mission Support Center (MSC) in the USA and for the local hospital’s marketing and donor support needs. The Storyteller is essentially the eyes and ears of CURE, documenting the lives of those the organization gets to serve.
This is a two-year assignment with the opportunity for renewal.
The Storyteller responsibilities are:
The main responsibility of a Storyteller is to befriend the children CURE is serving and communicate this friendship to the CURE donors through writing, photos, and videos. The Storyteller does this by creating two publishable CUREkids profiles each week with the child’s backstory, a setlist of photos (profile photo, header, before photo, etc), daily status update and photo as to how the child is doing. The Storyteller also provides status updates and photos every time the child returns to the hospital for follow up appointments after they are discharged.
Besides running the CUREkids program, a Storyteller is expected to document overall life and activity at the hospital. They will highlight staff, visitors, events, celebrations, spiritual outreaches, medical clinics, and training through blogs, photos, videos, and social media posts.
Other Storyteller responsibilities include:
- Collaborating with the Spiritual Department at the local hospital for spiritual content regarding the child or child’s family that can be used to develop a holistic understanding of the child for both CURE and the donors.
- Fulfill a roll in supporting the marketing needs and donor support of the local hospital.
- Provide content to the MSC Advancement team to prepare quarterly donor reports.
- Produce and deliver monthly blogs, weekly “Photos of the Week,” and regular content for social media to the Lead Storyteller.
- Provide weekly status reports to the Lead Storyteller.
- Complete regular check-ins with the local hospital’s management in order to assess the hospital’s marketing and donor support needs.
- Participate in regular video/audio meetings with the Lead Storyteller.
- Be an active participant in helping to host and represent CURE to individuals who visit the hospital.
Qualified candidates for this position will:
- Love kids.
- Be able to work in cross-cultural and multi-cultural environments, working to understand and respect where others are coming from (both geographically and mentally).
- Have excellent written English and the ability to communicate with a mostly North American audience.
- Have a minimum of two years experience with photography.
- Have an aptitude towards videography and a willingness to invest in the medium.
- Have a working knowledge of photo and video editing – Adobe Lightroom and Premiere.
- Understand the professional use of social media tools such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, and blogging platforms.
- Be passionate about the mission of CURE.
- Be comfortable working in a medical setting.
- Previous cross-cultural experience is preferred, but not necessarily required.
Qualified candidates for this position will possess the following:
- A photography portfolio
- This should be a collection of images that comprehensively demonstrate your ability to capture the world around you. You can submit either a link to an online portfolio or submit a portfolio in PDF form.
- A writing example
- This can be a personal blog post, a short story, an article for a newspaper, or something you prepare especially for this application. It should be something that shows your ability to express yourself through words. You can submit either a link to an online writing example or submit a writing example in PDF form.
- An informal video explaining why you would like to be a CURE Storyteller
- This is in place of a cover letter and should be nothing more a simple video of yourself talking. Videos can be extremely basic – shot with a cellphone or webcam – and should be uploaded to a streaming service (YouTube, Vimeo, etc). Only a link should be provided in the application.
A video demo reel or example is not required, but one demonstrating your ability to tell stories through the video medium would bolster your application and be welcome.
In addition, all candidates should be familiar with the Statement of Faith, and will be required to agree with the declarations of the Statement of Faith in order to be considered for this position.
Please click the link to read our Statement of Faith.
This is a full-time, paid position that offers a modest salary with a comprehensive benefits package that may include health and life insurance, relocation assistance, retirement, housing, in-country transportation, and annual leave.