The Center for Victims of Torture is hiring a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer who is responsible for the entry, analysis, and reporting of program data, including confidential clinical data. The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will implement and maintain data collection systems, monitor the integrity of collected data, and provide oversight for the data collection process generally; contribute to reports for a variety of internal and external audiences; and consult with and support program and clinical staff about client progress, program evaluation, and data-related issues. The Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will report to the Country Director while also working closely with the Research Department based at Headquarters.
Reports to: Country Director (administrative) and HQ Research (technical)
Location: Gulu, Uganda
Position Start Date: immediately
Job grade: Full time
The Center for Victims of Torture works toward a future in which torture ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are an international nonprofit organization dedicated to healing survivors of torture. We offer rehabilitation services to those who have been tortured, train partners around the world who can prevent and treat torture, and advocate for human rights and an end to torture. We are headquartered in Minnesota, and we have US offices in Atlanta and DC, as well as offices in Africa and the Middle East.
- Data management: Enter, clean, and maintain electronic records of clinical activities and client assessment data. Process completed assessment forms (submitted by clinical staff); enter the data into a database/datasets; verify that data are correctly entered; detect and resolve data integrity issues. Create documentation of computer file folders and location of database/dataset files. Store original master and analysis files in separate computer folders. Name and organize data files and folders according to a documented convention. Back-up data files regularly. Safeguard the confidentiality of client data. Ensure the secure storage of electronic client data, as well as paper forms while in possession.
- Data analysis: Analyze and interpret results using SPSS, SurveyGizmo, Microsoft Excel, or other programs for reporting and other analyses. Calculate frequencies, descriptive statistics, and generate figures/graphs (e.g., bar charts, pie charts). Analyze client outcomes using crosstabs, t-tests, Cohen’s D, and other statistical techniques. Score client measures for aggregate reporting and analysis purposes. Devise and conduct additional analyses as needed to respond to requests to address substantive evaluation or clinical questions.
- Support collection of clinical data: Support clinical staff in collecting client data. Maintain original, blank, paper copies of current clinical assessment forms. Work with clinical and counseling staff to ensure adequate procedures are in place to securely and reliably collect, enter, and store confidential client information, especially as forms are transferred to and from clinical and M&E staff for data entry.
- Monitor data quality: Monitor data and data collection processes to ensure adherence to data collection protocols, especially as it relates to clinical assessment measures. Identify problems with data collection, including patterns of missing data, internal reliability, problematic content of particular questions, and so on. Collaborate with clinical, counseling, research, and administrative staff to identify and resolve data or data systems-related issues. Report deleterious or ongoing data-related issues to the Country Director and CVT Research Department. Ensure that no changes are made to the clinical assessment forms without the approval of CVT Research Department.
- Reporting: Contribute to regular reports concerning clinical and program data for both internal and external audiences. External audiences include quarterly and annual reports to funding agencies. Internal audiences include monthly reports to CVT Headquarters International Services staff, requests from CVT Research Department, or ad hoc requests from clinical or administrative staff.
- Consultation, collaboration and communication: Consult with CVT staff (i.e., admin, clinical, research) concerning data management, data collection, data analysis, or evaluation topics as requested. Consult and/or collaborate on other reporting efforts involving data as requested. Maintain close communication with clinical staff and CVT Research Department. Participate in clinical meetings as possible. Gain familiarity with CVT’s work with clients and maintain clear understanding of current program activities. Gather meaningful questions from clinical and administrative staff concerning our clients and our program. When possible, conduct analyses and present results from CVT data germane to addressing such questions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a social science discipline, data or computer science discipline, or other field, with substantial data management and analysis component
- At least 3 years of work experience in program evaluation, research, or data management
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English and Acholi, both written and spoken
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Excellent numeracy skills, including comfort with a range of basic statistics
- Commitment to the values of equality, non-discrimination, and human rights for all
- Strong administrative skills
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to communicate in a highly professional manner with a variety of audiences
- Ability to work independently, maintaining high self-motivation and organization, and consistently meeting deadlines
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good team player, with excellent interpersonal skills, able to take direction, and work collaboratively with others
- Flexible and able to adapt to change
- Must have legal status to work in Uganda
- Experience with statistical software, such as SPSS
- Experience with online surveys, such as SurveyGizmo
- Advanced degree or other certifications in social science, computer science, program evaluation, etc.
- Experience working in mental health or psychosocial programs
Interested applicants should submit a CV, cover letter and contact information for 2 references who can attest to your professional skills and experience to: http://cvt.simplicant.com/. Applications will be accepted through July 17, 2020.