Job available in these locations:
- Palabek Kal, Uganda
- Kyegegwa Town Council, Kyegegwa District, Uganda
Requisition ID: req11821
Job Title: PlayMatters Drivers
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Lamwo, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC is seeking drivers for the PlayMatters project, funded by the LEGO Foundation. This position will be a part of the larger PlayMatters initiative to increase play-based learning opportunities for nearly 1 million pre-primary and primary school aged refugee and host community children impacted by the humanitarian crises in East Africa and living in Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Uganda. This project aims to build children’s social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative skills through play in their homes, schools, and communities and will be implemented in partnership with War Child Holland, Plan International, Behavioral Insights Team and Innovations for Poverty Action. PlayMatters applies behavioral science and human-centered design as well as adult behavior change theories to transform parents, caregivers, teachers, and policy makers into change agents of playful learning, leading to improved learning and well-being for children.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Driver will be responsible for the safe transportation of PlayMatters regional management staff and materials; care and maintenance of PlayMatters regional vehicles and their accessories.
- Inspect and record the condition of the vehicles daily; prepare weekly maintenance checklist.
- Ensure timely servicing and maintenance of PlayMatters regional office vehicles (complete service request forms and maintain service maintenance records); report to PlayMatters Deputy Director any mechanical problems.
- Ensure vehicles are insured and all legal documents are always in order; inform PlayMatters Deputy Director three weeks in advance of any renewals due (i.e. insurance, road license, etc.).
- Conduct daily assessments of road conditions and security situation.
- Drive PlayMatters regional project staff in a safe and courteous manner to field sites across the country.
- Deliver mail/messages as directed.
- Operate HF and VHF mobile radio equipment if any.
- Maintain cleanliness of interior/exterior of PlayMatters Regional office vehicles.
- Give accurate reconciliation of expenditures within the given period.
- Adhere to IRC vehicle policy and operating procedures (use of logbook, no drinking and driving, signing out vehicle on vehicle registry and so on).
- Assist programs or PlayMatters Admin Officer in loading cargo for the field.
Standards of Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is January 19th,2021
- Minimum Ordinary Level Certificate: A- Level Certificate is an added advantage; Valid driver’s license with classes “A, B & DL”
- Minimum of two (2) years’ driving experience preferably with NGOs.
Skills and Abilities
- Able to pass the IRC driving test and demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, excellent Microsoft word and Microsoft excel skills.
- Willingness to travel to ‘insecure areas within the constraints of IRC Uganda’s security policy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Reports to: IRC Uganda, PlayMatters Deputy Project Manager and technically to IRC Transport Manager
Working Environment: The driver(s) will work in the IRC Uganda office and be provided regular administrative and logistics support to perform his/her responsibilities.