Global Pulse is a flagship innovation initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General on big data. Its vision is a future in which big data and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are harnessed and used responsibly as a public good. Its mission is to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of data innovation for sustainable development and humanitarian action. To this end, Global Pulse will work to promote awareness of the opportunities Big Data presents for sustainable development and humanitarian action, forge public-private data sharing partnerships, generate high-impact analytical tools and approaches through its network of Pulse Labs, and drive broad adoption of useful innovations across the UN System.
Global Pulse implements data innovation programs through its Pulse Labs to provide UN and development partners with access to the data, tools and expertise required to discover new uses of big data and AI for development. Global Pulse develops policies, toolkits, applications and platforms to improve data-driven decision-making and support the evaluation of promising solutions.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for Global Pulse. The incumbent of this position will be a personnel of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the supervision of senior management of UN Global Pulse, the consultant will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate the development and implementation of AI and data governance projects across Africa;
- Support scaling up of existing initiatives and identify relevant opportunities for Global Pulse’s engagement in the AI and data governance space in the region;
- Ensure timely delivery of reports on ongoing AI and data governance projects to UN Global Pulse senior management;
- Provide technical inputs to and support governments in the development of policy instruments on AI and data governance in the Global South region;
- Manage a small project team distributed across Ghana and Uganda;
- Expand and maintain a network of stakeholders on AI and data from public, private sector and civil society organizations in Ghana and Uganda;
- Support the representation of UN Global Pulse on AI and data governance related projects in the Africa region by participating in discussions with stakeholders;
- Manage organization of events, working groups, and other advocacy related events related to the AI and data policy work in the Africa region;
- Develop a system to ensure knowledge transfer and capacity building within the Pulse Lab Network;
- Provide technical inputs to various Pulse Network related documents and reports in the area of work, including policy papers;
- Work closely with the policy team in Pulse Lab New York and the senior management of Pulse Lab Kampala, ensuring alignment of policy work and priorities across Pulse Labs.
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Master’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Computer Sciences, International Relations, Law, or other relevant fields.
- A Bachelor’s Degree plus additional (2) two years may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
- Minimum of (5) five years of practical experience in data privacy, data protection, data governance or artificial intelligence ethics related matters in Africa is required;
- Experience in drafting written materials, producing reports, and meeting summaries is required
- Experience in event organization and meeting facilitation is required;
Desirable experience (the following experience is optional candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- At least (2) two years of project management experience in the field of data and AI governance or data and AI innovation is desired;
- Experience in providing policy advice on digital development and digital transformation is highly desirable;
- Experience in public speaking and active participation in data privacy, data protection, AI ethics working groups and consultations representing an organization is highly desirable;
- Working knowledge of data and AI applications for social good is highly desirable;
- Technical expertise in the area of AI or data science or related technical fields, including data innovation for social good is an asset;Research experience in AI and data related studies and/or global development is highly desirable.
- Experience working with an international organization and/or other public sector institution in Africa is an asset;
- Fluency in English (written and oral) is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type: International Individual Contractual Agreement (IICA)
Contract level: IICA-2/ ICSC-10
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.