INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE MISSION
CONSULTANCY – TERMS OF REFERENCE **
PROJECT COORDINATOR – KASESE & TORORO
Contract type: Short Term
Contract Duration: 6 Months
Reporting to: Lead, Programme Manager
Programme Area: Kasese & Tororo
International Justice Mission (IJM) is an international human rights organization that works to ensure that all, especially the most vulnerable, have proper and appropriate access to justice. IJM works directly with survivors of violence to offer support and assistance. IJM also works closely with local and national governments, religious and traditional leaders and in particular with the public justice system to support them and build system wide capacity.
IJM has been operating in Uganda for over 13 years and has a nationwide partnership with the Justice Law & Order Secretariat that focuses on effective prevention of and response to all forms of violence against women & children. IJM’s vision for its work in Uganda is that by 2030 all women and children across the country are protected by the justice system, are empowered and live free from violence.
2.0 EU – UN Spotlight
The Spotlight Initiative is a global, multi-year partnership between the European Union and the United Nations to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls. In Uganda the Spotlight Initiative will work across 7 districts focusing on responding to violence against women and girls and harmful practices.
As part of the Spotlight Initiative, International Justice Mission is working in Kasese and Tororo districts through its mentoring and collaborative casework model to improve knowledge of essential services, strengthen and improve the coordination of services, incorporate survivor voice and strengthen community accountability. IJM will use this innovative, evidence-based model to implement Outcome 4 of the Spotlight Initiative:
Outcome 4: Quality Services: Women and girls who experience violence and harmful practices use available, accessible, acceptable, and quality essential services including for long term recovery for violence.
Through the Spotlight Initiative work in Kasese and Tororo, IJM is working with different Stakeholders that include JLOS institutions, Civil Society Organisations, Health Service providers, Community leaders and Survivors to improve knowledge of and access to quality and essential services and integrated SRHR, including longer term recovery services and opportunities for Women, girls and communities at risk of VAWG/ HP. Through the implementation of these activities, IJM is also working to strengthen and improve the coordination of services, incorporate survivor voice and strengthen community accountability mechanisms.
A consultant is required to coordinate the project activities of IJM on the ground in Kasese or Tororo with the different Stakeholders, ensuring representation and advocacy for IJM in the delivery of the Spotlight Initiative project. The project coordinator will ensure that the project activities in the district are well-organized, run smoothly and remain on track to meet the set Goals and Objectives of the project. This will include meeting and communicating with stakeholders on the ground in Kasese or Tororo, organizing for activity implementation, participating in activity implementation, reporting on activities to various departments at IJM, making sure the relevant teams at IJM are kept updated on the activities in the field, and representing IJM at different forums in the relevant districts for successful implementation of the project.
3.1 Scope of Work
As part of this assignment, IJM envisions that the Project coordinator will perform different roles on behalf of IJM in Kasese or Tororo. These include but are not limited to: –
3.1.1 Overview of Role
· Creating day-to-day visible IJM presence in the District through engagement with stakeholders ensuring IJM is integrated into Spotlight programming
· Offering relevant technical skills either on justice service delivery or survivor and community engagement that enables the transfer of knowledge and mentorship of local stakeholders
· Be the local point of contact who can speak the local language and can provide support to IJM Uganda teams when they are in District.
· Coordinate with local authorities to secure the necessary authorizations to implement activities within the district.
· Represent IJM with all levels of local stakeholder and with communities
The consultant will have the following competencies
· Experience of working with similar communities on VAW/C + HP
· Effective communicator and networker
· Understands the relevant stakeholders within the District and can engage with them and build trust and engagement between them and IJM
· Good knowledge of the major local language and understanding of local culture, values, and traditions
· Technical expertise of sufficient level to enable them to mentor local stakeholders and build capacity
· Sympathy with IJM mission and values
· Attention to detail, ability to deliver tasks on time with limited supervision
· Ability to work independently
· Ability to deliver trainings and coordinate workshops.
· Demonstrated ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team of professionals
· Degree in Social Work & Social Administration, Social Sciences, Education, International Development, Community Development or Developmental Studies
· Other Bachelor’s degree and relevant experience will be considered
· Project management experience or qualifications are desirable
· To be based in Kasese or Tororo with some travel outside the District including to IJM offices
· To be embedded in the offices of a stakeholder at the District level
· Building capacity of programme stakeholders at the District level
· Liaison and trusted representative of IJM at the District level able to engage with the full range of stakeholders including survivors
· Able to mobilize and engage District stakeholders to work with IJM on wider programming
· Maintain an accurate record of IJM Spotlight activities at the District level including capturing stories of change and photos
· Able to provide administrative support to IJM activities at the District level, including through translation support
· Other duties, as assigned
8.0 Type of Supervision provided
The consultant will work under supervision of the Senior Manager from the respective district. The supervisor will have frequent interactions with the consultant at various stages in order to brief the consultant on the situation/assignment; agree on the process and clarify the deliverables; provide feedback and comments on intermediary products; and track the progress made by the consultant. The supervisor will evaluate the consultant’s work and certify delivery of work.
Violence against women and girls (VAWG) is a fundamental human rights violation, affecting around one in three women and girls worldwide. VAWG takes many forms*, including sexual, physical, and psychological abuse*
How to apply
Interested candidates should email their Application, and statement of faith to email@example.com, with Consultancy- Tororo or Consultancy- Kasese on the email subject. Applications should reach us not later than 5:00pm on 13th August 2020.
Only shortlisted Individuals shall be contacted.