Job Title : Senior Project Officer – Safeguarding
Department : Risk and Compliance Manager
Job Type : Full Time
Grade : 8
About Catholic Relief Services:
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization (NGO) supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. CRS’ Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations; serving people on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs.
CRS has worked in Uganda since 1965, initially providing emergency assistance to Sudanese refugees living in the north. Over the years, CRS has expanded its programming to also address development needs in western, central and eastern Uganda. CRS’ projects in Uganda currently include agriculture, health, microfinance, peacebuilding and youth. CRS Uganda implements its programs through partnerships with local organizations, including the Catholic Church, other faith-based organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
You will strengthen the safeguarding capacity and systems at the Country Program level and support the roll-out of safeguarding priorities. You will contribute to the implementation of the safeguarding policies including investigations, training, awareness and procedures in compliance with CRS’ established safeguarding standards to support high-quality programs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a key reporting channel and escalate safeguarding allegations and complaints from staff and affiliates.
- Lead safeguarding training and awareness raising, participate and replicate as needed Training of Trainers for safeguarding topics.
- Lead the contextualization of the toolkit at CP level and implementation mandatory safeguarding trainings for staff that promote compliance with of the CRS safeguarding policy.
- Coordinate the roll-out of the safeguarding partner minimum standards and procedures.
- Oversee safeguarding partner assessments and capacity building plans as outlined in the safeguarding partner procedures.
- Liaise with EARO/HQ safeguarding units on deadlines and the partner safeguarding assessment process
- Support internal investigations into safeguarding allegations. Log reports into Ethics Point, conduct interviews of survivors, complaints, witnesses and alleged perpetrators, investigate and write reports.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience:
- A. degree in human resources, social work, psychology, law, counselling or related discipline required
Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of seven years work experience, ideally with an international organization with progressive responsibilities in operations and /or programming related to safeguarding.
- Experience implementing safeguarding policies and procedures related to staff (internal) and/or partners (external).
- Proven experience in developing and rolling out trainings, assessments, and capacity building plans.
- Knowledge of prevention of sexual abuse and exploitation, gender integration and the field of safeguarding.
- Knowledge of and experience working code of conduct, safeguarding and ethics requirements of major donors, including USG, DFID and other public donors.
- Knowledge of reporting and investigations, policies and procedures, organizational systems.
- Knowledge of capacity strengthening best practices and partnership building
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (SKAs)
- Empathetic with exceptional listening skills
- Strong relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Good strategic, analytical, problem solving and system thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgement.
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Proactive, resourceful, result oriented, planning for and facilitating training using adult learning techniques.
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational code of ethics.
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
- Good oral and written skills in English
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representative, Operations and Program Staff
External: Partners, Vendors
Agency-Wide Competencies (for all CRS staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
This job description is not an exhaustive list of skills, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
NOTE: To apply, please follow these instructions exactly otherwise your application will NOT be considered:
- Email a cover letter and CV only to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 22nd, 2021 at 5:00pm.
- Large files and/or scans of documents will lead to rejection of your application, in the subject line of the email, copy and paste – SPOSAFEGUARDING only
- All applications that do not contain this exact subject line will be rejected and not read
ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS WILL BE NOTIFIED. EOE/M/F/D/V