SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
As our programme in Uganda continues to grow, we are looking for a highly experienced dynamic professionals to join our team. Interested candidates should meet the basic qualifications outlined within the Candidate Profile and exhibit a strong desire to be a catalyst for change.
For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview of the Position
The Inclusive Agribusiness Expert / Country Project Manager has the responsibility of the development and implementation of inclusive business cases whereby climate smart agriculture interventions are integrated into the value chain from an agronomic, financial and inclusion perspective. Prioritised value chain commodities are pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains. The incumbent will identify and support business cases for the co-investment fund and broker access to finance and investment of the businesses. S/he will coordinate and work with financial institutional partners to scale climate smart investments, as well as with service providers of climate smart solutions, innovations and technologies to further the objective of the project by providing affordable and accessible climate interventions to all stakeholders operating within the targeted value chains. The incumbent will take on delegated responsibility of in-country project management from the overall three country project manager, who is based in Uganda.
The Expert/PM reports directly to the overall Project Manager for CRAFT East Africa and the Uganda Country Director and collaborates closely with the Agriculture global sector team.
Project set-up and design
- Initiates contract handover from the Business Development Team. Sets up and communicates administrative, governance, accounting, HR, M&E structures and procedures for the project. Initiates implementation of the project plan upon approval of donor(s) and sector leader and/or country director, in accordance to the SNV project management procedures, relevant SNV structures and procedures, accounting principles, donor requirements and contracted commitments.
Leads, manages and motivates the project team, partners and relevant stakeholders. Plans and assigns deliverables and activities, reviews their progress and addresses deviations in terms of timelines and quality, based on project planning, deliverables agreed and budget set. Manages project closure and evaluation process including hand-over of complete and up-to-date project file to Sector Leader, Country Director and Business Development unit based on project management procedures.
Project quality assurance
Takes responsibility for the (technical) content of a project, ensures quality of the deliverables and ensures sufficient technical input to meet the quality standards
Contract Management & Project Accounting
Manages and accounts for full compliance of administrative, finance and HR components of the project with SNV internal procedures and requirements specified in the donor-, sub-grant-, sub-consultancy-, partner-, consortium- and Local Capacity Builders contracts.
Ensures that approval for, coding and booking of all expenditures is done according to the relevant procedures and authorisation levels. Prepares, accounts for, manages and reports on project budget (and revisions thereof). Discusses and obtains approval of donor for contract / budget deviations. Ensures security and (financial risk) mitigation (incl. due diligence). Fully understands procurement and comply with requirements and contracts.
People Management & Team Leadership
Guides, develops, coaches and motivates team members and prepares resource estimation based on forecast in order to attract and recruit (SNV staff, consultants and/or Local Capacity Builders).
Advises HR and country management on contract conditions for consultants and Local Capacity Builders, within guidelines and project budget.
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with team, external partners and the donor(s) by ensuring a high level of SNV visibility and branding. Signals and acts on potential for positioning, innovation, upscaling and potential follow up on projects. Timely recognises and analyses threats and makes sure relevant colleagues are informed.
Analysis & Reporting
Ensures collection, consolidation and review of project information, according to SNV’s monitoring and evaluation guidelines. Analyses and provides advice to management how to incorporate the new insights/best practices into the organisation’s policies and practices.
Contributes to internal and external knowledge development, by full documentation and sharing of project insights and results. Develops knowledge by attending workshops and conferences. Ensures lessons learned are shared and applied in daily practice. When applicable can be appointed as (national) focal point of an expertise network.
Oversee and support country project implementation, link and collaborate with the Kenya and Tanzania project managers, and report to the regional project manager.
- A relevant academic qualification: Agribusiness, Agricultural Economy or Business Administration;
- Minimum of ten years of experience of working with or in Agribusiness, preferably in the prioritised commodities (pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains);
- Knowledge of the prioritized commodities preferably at global level and in Uganda;
- Experience in value chain development, climate smart agriculture, energy efficient solutions, and agribusiness finance, preferable experience with climate finance;
- Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising inclusive business cases;
- Experience in female and youth entrepreneurship programs;
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders;
- Understanding of climate change risk management and inclusion of smallholder producers into the supply chain;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects;
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills;
- Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated by the Country Director;
- Willingness to travel to all project locations within Uganda and beyond.
Terms of Appointment
Application Deadline: by 4th June 2020.
Contract Duration: 2 years initial contract with possible extension
Contract Type: Uganda National Contract
Duty Stations: Kampala
Desired Start Date: 15th July, 2020