Reports To:CBID Team Leader
Overall job objective:
To promote delivery of efficient and Social Services that enhances quality of life for children with Disabilities through Rehabilitation, Disability Awareness, Inclusion, Child Safeguarding and Provision of Social Support services to Patients and Caregivers. The position holder ensures that Patients receive Rehabilitation and Social interventions, provides mentorship to Community, Social Work Volunteers and care givers.
Specific job responsibilities
Outreach Programme & coordination
- Identification, Assessment and Referral of Children with Disability
- Offer pre and post counselling to both parents and children with Disabilities
- Sensitize parents, community leaders, schools, health centres and other stake holders on the causes, prevention and management of Disability
- Collaborate with other Actors to enhance Referrals and Networking
- Organize review meetings with Parents and Community Volunteers at District Level
- Fully acquainted with Safeguarding practices especially with children at CoRSU
- Support the orientation of new staff in Safeguarding
- Patients and Caregivers sensitized on Safeguarding
- Child safeguarding materials Disseminated
- Identity child safeguarding issues and discuss with the Safeguarding Focal Person.
Social Work Services
- Carry out Patient Social Assessments and plan appropriate interventions.
- Providing Counselling services and coping strategies to CWDs, Parents and Caregivers while at the Hospital.
- Support Vulnerable patients (Children and Adults) to benefit from the CoRSU subsidy scheme.
- Coordinate with CoRSU partners’ organizations for booking and referral of patients.
- Provide Patients and caregivers with appropriate information about Hospital services, systems and payments.
- Referral of Patients in need of Psychotherapy while at the Hospital
- Submit monthly reports and Statistics to Head of Department on a monthly basis
- Coordinate and participate in the information, education and communication (IEC) training sessions for clients, attendants and caregivers.
- Facilitate the process of assigning attendant prefects and liaises with them and the nurses.
- Participate in resolving disputes between attendants in liaison with other hostel staff.
- Participate in ward rounds where Appropriate.
- Conduct discharge sessions for patients and care givers.
- Participate in developing a payment plan for patients in liaison with the Head of Finance and waiver committee.
- Conducting Patient satisfaction surveys.
- Conducting monthly meetings with patients and Caregivers Admitted at CoRSU to generate feedback on services at the Hospital.
- Coordinate all activities with the social work team, the customer care officer and the clinical psychologist.
- Participate to recreational activities for children with the therapy team
- Any other assignments as given by the supervisor.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- A University Degree in Disability studies, Community Based Rehabilitation, Social Work, Social Science, and Community Development Studies, Occupational Therapy or its equivalent is essential.
- Recognised training in Rehabilitation, Advocacy, leadership and community work skills is added advantage.
- Good computer skills (MS Word, Excel and Power point) is ddesirable
Work Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- Three (3) years’ experience in Disability, Community Based Rehabilitation and Community development work is essential. Excellent training and mentoring, communication and presentation skills.
- Good report writing/ reporting and excellent knowledge of Health security and safety is essential.
- A clear understanding of disability and rehabilitation programmes or systems and NGO operations in Uganda and inclusion trends in Uganda, Community structures and systems, Community dynamics cultures and practices is key.
- High ethical and moral standards are desirable such as
- Experience in disability management, advocacy work, community based Rehabilitation work and familiar with the rehabilitation in Uganda; Knowledge of English, Luganda and other local languages
- Flexibility and culturally sensitivity
- Team building and networking abilities