SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE (SVN)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Special Assistant to the Chief of Mission
Reference No : SVN/UG/001/2020
Duty Station : Kampala, Uganda
Classification : General Services/ G5
Type of Appointment : Special Short Term Contract, 6 Months (with possibility of extension)
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 07 April 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates
Background and Context:
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and in close coordination with the relevant departments, the successful candidate will be responsible in providing support to the Office of the Chief of Mission:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Organize and coordinate meetings for the Chief of Mission. Coordinate with the different units and relevant stakeholders such as Government entities, UN agencies, Embassies to facilitate meetings or other secretarial issue on behalf of COM as and when required.
2. Maintain the Chief of Mission’s calendar, receive high ranking visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answer inquiries.
3. Provide secretarial, administrative and logistics support in organizing workshops/meetings /conferences, attend internal meetings with project partners, government counterparts and relevant stakeholders, and other events as appropriate and take minutes of meetings as required.
4. Receive confidential issues, letters, documents and distribute them to the proper department.
5. Distribute meeting reports and information and ensure follow-up on required actions.
6. Assist with the administrative work of the office of the Chief of Mission including establishing internal procedures and filing/tracking systems for correspondence and documents, receiving, screening and registering correspondence and documents.
7. Collect and prepare briefing materials for Chief of Mission concerning official trips or special meetings. Undertake duty travel arrangements for Chief of Mission, including arranging itinerary, visas, and hotel reservations. Ensure offices are informed of travel arrangements and requirements and Chief of Mission is briefed of important developments upon their return.
8. Keep abreast with activities of importance, latest policies, procedures and organizational changes affecting the Office of the Chief of Mission.
9. Prepare correspondence for the Chief of Mission’s signature, and draft non-substantive correspondence based on first-hand knowledge of work schedule or events, rough notes, or verbal instructions, for Chief of Mission’s approval.
10. Draft documents, official letters and diplomatic letters (Notes Verbales etc.)
11. Assist the Chief of Mission by liaising with relevant governmental and non-governmental entities, international organizations as well as other relevant stakeholders by letters, phone, email etc.
12. Establish and maintain relationships with Government entities, implementing partners, UN agencies, donor and other stakeholders in the country.
13. Draft reports as assigned by the Chief of Mission.
14. Maintain an efficient filing system of Chief of Mission’s Office for hard and electronic copies of office records, documents, files, including managing folders in the shared and server folder ensuring they are updated; Photocopying relevant documents as requested.
15. Process travel arrangements for the Chief of Mission including briefing package in consultation with different unit.
16. Ensure that documents requiring Chief of Mission’s signature will be done within the day.
17. Issue different official letters as advised by Chief of Mission as and when required.
18. Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
• University degree in Business Administration, Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with three years of relevant professional experience;
• Completed High school degree from an accredited academic institution, with five years of relevant professional experience.
• Discreet, detail-oriented, patience with willingness to learn new tasks;
• Work experience with international humanitarian organizations, embassies, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage;
• Teamwork-oriented, capacity to work independently; sensitive to gender issues, personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, experience in working effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds at all levels;
• Proficient in MS office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Email, Outlook.
Fluency in English and working knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following behavioral competencies:
a) Accountability- Takes ownership for achieving the organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delighted work.
b) Communication – Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
c) Teamwork – Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
d) Delivering results – produces and delivers quality services in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
e) Managing and sharing knowledge- Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
How to apply:
Interested applicants may send their applications to email@example.com no later than 07 April 2020. Reference Number and Position Title (SVN/UG/001/2020 – Special Assistant) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Posting period: From 24-March-2020 to 07-April- 2020