Brief information on the project The German Energy Solutions Initiative was launched by the German Bundestag in 2002 to make a significant contribution to climate change mitigation by promoting high quality German products in the field of renewable energy technologies. Support has since been provided to small and medium-sized German enterprises (SMEs) in the fields of renewable energy, energy efficiency, smart grids and storage technologies as they seek to position themselves on international markets. The Project Development Programme (PDP) for developing countries and emerging economies is a major pillar of the German Energy Solutions Initiative along with the German Chambers of Commerce Abroad’s Business Trip Programme, the German Energy Agency’s Renewable Energy Solutions Programme and the Foreign Trade Fair Programme. PDP is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and currently in phase 4, active in the following target regions: West Africa, South and East Africa, the Middle East, South Asia and South-East Asia. Context In recent years companies in Uganda have faced unstable grid supply and many rely on diesel generators especially during periods of power cuts, that massively increase their electricity cost, thus negatively impact operational costs. The current status of the market for renewable energy technologies in Uganda shows significant development in the sector of large-scale hydro and some utility scale projects in PV solar, while reference projects for commercial and industrial clients exist only very marginally. Reason is that potential end consumers and companies either lack awareness of renewable energy applications and their feasibility as alternatives to conventional power supply or have been hesitant to invest due to insufficient access to financing options in the country in recent years. PDP with its programme activities wants to develop the market for PV solar applications for clients from the Ugandan commercial and industrial sector.
Number of vacancies: 1
Sector: Civil society
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
- Knowledge in the area of renewable energy and energy efficiency; knowledge in side audits and specifically performing load measurements is an advantage.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Strong organizational competence, administrative and event organization experience is a plus.
- Highly motivated to work in a multicultural environment.
- Willingness to travel abroad and to project sites across the country.
- Very good knowledge of English, both spoken and written
The Technical Advisor will be in charge of:
- Early stage project development services for solar PV solutions, including site audits and load measurement of the electric consumption at specific production facilities.
- The identification of project opportunities, initiation of project development, contact management of German and local project partners as well as knowledge management all within the field of renewable energies.
- Collaboration with private as well as with public stakeholders.
The Technical Advisor also performs the following tasks:
- Compiles information on renewable energy market, the energy legal framework business opportunities in Uganda;
- Proactively builds networks within industry and identifies project opportunities and future project partners with promising ideas and development potential
- Acts as a facilitator for RE and EE project development: Supports and advises stakeholders and potential partners in the process of generating, structuring and formulating project ideas and concepts.
- Conducts engineering site audits to collect and verify structural and electrical data (number of connection points, current supply situation, description of energy mix, energy consumption and load, tariff structure, equipment in use, outages and resulting electricity costs, pattern of operation) as well as other site related information like roof quality and accessibility, availability of roof (orientation and inclination) as well as ground spaces (shading)
- In cases of insufficient load data, management of load measurements or load modeling necessary for further technical and financial simulations. Must be discussed with and approved by the GIZ PDP Country Manager, Bonn.
- Works closely with PDP Country manager in Bonn and third-party consultant in the design of solar PV systems and cash-flow modeling in the commercial and industrial sector using selected simulation tools
- Works closely with local banks, auditors and regulatory authorities
- Presentation of results to client (local off-taker), with the goal to convince the client to opt for the proposed system.
- Supports on technical and financial tender evaluation, where needed.
- Manages administrative procedures within the GIZ country office, such as contracts with third parties, travel bookings, visa procedures and others
- Plans, coordinates and documents meetings, workshops, seminars and other project activities;
- Organizes, prepares and implements professional information and expert workshops;
- Manages and assists short-term experts / consultants assigned to projects/programmes in completing their tasks (e.g. consultancy for load measurements)
- Supports in implementation of business trips organized by the Delegation of German Industry and Commerce (AHK), where necessary for German renewable energy companies to Uganda;
- Compiles an overview of programme activities, deadlines etc. as discussed in team meetings and presents this regularly during the meetings.
Implementation of project activities
- Implements activities outlined in the existing PDP operation plan and to the satisfaction of PDP and the private partners.
- Assists in activities in line with the PDP collaborations with industry associations.
Communication, knowledge management and monitoring
- Represents PDP Uganda in regional conferences, workshops, seminars and relevant events in collaboration with the project coordinator.
- Identifies Uganda-specific tenders in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency, which are relevant to German companies.
- Prepares PR contributions, identifies appropriate distribution channels in case of significant PDP events, and compiles articles for newsletters.
- Assists with PR work for the programme.
- Organizes and updates programme documentation in the respective data management system.
- Continuously updates the PDP Uganda’s contact database.
- Updates information on project progress, documents and reports regularly on the PDP monitoring platform.
- Assists with report writing for all project activities undertaken
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
- Carries out other tasks at the request of the superior.
- University degree in energy, engineering, economics or related field
Details of experience
- At least 5 years of working experience in industry or engineering, preferably in project development, business development, market development, preferably in the energy sector and/or textile industry.
- In-depth experience in project development (renewables or other industry) is a prerequisite.
- Existing network within the RE and/or EE industry and/or any other industry with high energy consumption, especially the textile industry, is a plus.
How to apply
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply online on www.futureoptions.org or by email to email@example.com. Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 26th November 2020. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place.
Application deadline: 2020-11-26