Uganda is a landlocked nation in East Africa bordered by Kenya, Sudan, Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Tanzania. Uganda is an awesome place. It is one of those countries that you visit and don’t want to leave. Although Uganda is still a developing country, it is possible for expats and foreigners to find a job there.
Are foreigners allowed to work in Uganda?
Yes, foreigners are allowed to work in Uganda if they have a valid visa and a work permit
So,You’ve decided to work in Uganda—congrats! Now you’ll want to know how and where to search for jobs. Below is a selection of resources for searching for employment opportunities in Uganda.
Online job hunting in Uganda
When looking for work in Uganda, the internet is your friend. The success rate of landing a job through the internet is higher if you’re persistent
Here is a list of good places on the web to look for expat jobs in Uganda no matter what field you are interested in:
- O4ug.com: Not to blow our own horn, but O4UG is one of the most reliable job portals in Uganda. We have a specific page for Expats looking for jobs in Uganda.
- Brightermonday Uganda.There are a variety of jobs you can find in Brightermonday Uganda . The best way to do it is by customizing your search by job Functions, Industries and locations.
- New Vision Jobs is a good, thorough resource for finding work in Uganda. It is an excellent starting point for your job search.
- Greatugandajobs.com: Another good website for jobs.
- Theugandanjobline.com: The ugandanjobline is popular and is a good site to check out if you want a good job in Uganda.
- Fuzu: A Great job portal for job seekers in Uganda
- UN Jobs: is a good search engine for UN jobs
- Glassdoor: Glassdoor Uganda has many job postings
- US Embassy: The US Embassy in Kampala has jobs from time to time.
- Reliefweb.int: This is a good site for professionals looking for NGO Jobs.
Please note that most people looking for work in Uganda are using these websites and that you should only apply for the positions you meet the requirements and have the necessary experience.
There are a lot of recruitment agencies that you send your CV and references and they will try to arrange a job for you that meets your expectations and experience.
Please use common sense when dealing with any of these >> List of licensed private recruitment companies licensed by the Ministry of Gender, Labour and social development
Newspapers & Magazines
Of course, you can still do it the classic way and find a job in Uganda by having a look at the job advertisements in the local newspapers.
The easiest way if you have a clear idea not just about your job position but also the industry you want to work in you can have a look directly at the company’s website what’s available under “Careers” or “Jobs”. Or just find out the email-address, usually under “Contact” and introduce yourself asking if they currently have job openings.
Salaries in Uganda
Salaries obviously depend on the job position you’re applying for
Working for NGOs in Uganda
There are many NGOs (Non-Government Organizations) active in Uganda. These positions are often temporary, running for a set number of years in which they have been funded for. They are also usually somewhat specific in their experience requirements, with several years of prior Development Aid work a common minimum requirement.
In conclusion, it’s not very difficult to find a job in Uganda as a foreigner if you prepare and know where to look. The process of recruitment is similar to that of other companies in other countries. If you have the right characteristics and qualifications, a company won’t be hesitant to hire you.
Please note: Before you start work, make sure that you have a signed employment contract and a valid visa that includes a work permit. These are basic requirements for living and working in Uganda legally. Working without a permit will lead to jail time and deportation from the country.
There you have it. The best places to find jobs in Uganda as a foreigner. I hope this helps, and if your looking for information on visas, be sure to check out Work permits in Uganda- Everything you need to know !!