ABOUT GIVE US WINGS UGANDA
Give Us Wings Uganda (GUWU) is an International Non-Governmental Organization which is a Country Program of Give Us Wings International (GUWI). GUWU works in partnership with various public institutions and civil society organizations to reach out to extremely poor and underprivileged communities by sponsoring school going children, empowering the sponsored children to know their constitutional rights and roles in community development and enhancing positive parenting among parents and/or caregivers. The organization also promotes socioeconomic transformation of women and girls, a category of society that has been persistently impacted by economic crises. GUWU is concerned about the health and wellbeing of communities with which we work and, in light of that, the organization has established a privatenot-for-profit health facility that extends quality health services to the communities near and wide. We believe a healthy mind in a healthy body will be transformative in contributing to children’s education and actively engage in economic activities.
BACKGROUND OF GUWU
GUWU was founded in 1999 and currently works in the districts of Tororo, Bugiri and Manafwa to empower communities to take charge of their own development agenda. Over the years the organization has evolved from directly targeting individuals with humanitarian support to families and now to communities. Our transformative agenda is embodied in three program areas: education, entrepreneurship and health which support each other to holistically tackle the common enemy of cyclical poverty.
The GUWU Accountant works under the supervision of the Africa Program Director provides proactive, efficient and effective management support to the activities of the organization. S/he will play a pivotal role of facilitating documentation of all financial records and advising top management on financial matters for a more effective implementation of all organization’s programs and activities. S/he will ensure that the organization is compliant with the donor requirements and all the policies regulating financial dealings of Give Us Wings Uganda.
1. Perform general and financial accounting tasks using generally accepted accounting
2. Prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports, including statement of activities, statement of financial position, budget and variance, projections and forecast and cash flow in an accurate and timely manner.
3. Analyze organization’s operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and
obligations, to project future revenues and expenses or to provide advice.
4. Report to management on a monthly basis or as frequently as management requests
regarding the finances of the organization.
5. Establish tables of accounts, and assign entries to proper accounts.
6. Maintain proper General Ledger and Payment Voucher documentation.
7. Develop, maintain, and analyze budgets, preparing periodic reports that compare budgeted costs to actual costs. Conduct budget monitoring to ensure that program expenses are within the budget for each program.
8. Develop, implement, modify, and document recordkeeping and accounting systems, making use of current computer technology. Ensure that all payments are adequately supported with proper documentation.
9. Prepare forms and manuals for accounting and bookkeeping personnel, and direct their work activities.
10. Survey organization’s operations to ascertain its general accounting needs and to
recommend, develop, and maintain solutions to organizational and financial problems.
11. Work as Internal Auditor for the organization; keenly assessing expenditures of the
organization, ensuring all documentation is timely presented and archived, ensuring that
financial policies of the organization are sufficiently adhered to by all staff and those
contracted to perform specific roles on behalf of the organization.
12. Manage banking processes, accounts and balances effectively and efficiently including bank reconciliations. Reconcile and monitor bank balances weekly.
13. Assist external Auditors with the annual audit process.
14. Work with Africa Program Director to prepare annual budgets.
1. Ensure that payroll administration is verified for accuracy, properly processed and that all statutory payments, e.g. NSSF and PAYE, are done in a timely manner.
2. Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting and other tax requirements.
3. Advise management on issues such as resource utilization, tax strategies, and the
assumptions underlying budget forecasts.
4. Advise staff and other partners in areas such as compensation, employee healthcare benefits, the design of accounting and data processing systems, and long-range tax and estate plans.
5. Must maintain an up-to-date GUWU Asset Register at all times. Appraise, evaluate, and
inventory real property and equipment, recording information such as the property’s
description, value, and location.
6. Ensure that financial documents and accountabilities are complete, coded and approved and stored safely.
7. Ensure that GUWU complies with all aspects of its Contract Management Policy and oversee other staff members who may manage contract payments.
8. Ensure that GUWU Foreign Exchange Policy is followed and that each transaction is properly documented.
9. Ensure that GUWU’s Petty Cash Policy is followed and properly documented.
Qualifications and skills required
Education and experience
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in the relevant fields (Economics, Commerce, Business
At least three years of work experience in financial management and administration.
Experience in management of donor grants and working with International NonGovernmental Organizations.
Must have adequate knowledge and experience in accounting packages e.g. QuickBooks, Pastel, Tally, etc.
Additional training in ACCA or CPA is particularly an added advantage
Good personality with undisputed track record
Ability to adhere to confidentiality principles
Ability to meet deadlines and good reporting skills
Good interpersonal skills that enhance team building
Good communication and analytical skills are desirable
Be an astute team player and also team builder
How to apply
All qualified and interested applicants should submit their applications expressing their interests to work with Give Us Wings Uganda. Please attach your current curriculum vitae, max 5 pages together with 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand deliver hard copies to Give Us Wings Uganda office located on Plot 21, Tensing Road, Tororo Municipal Council not later than November 25, 2020.
GIVE US WINGS UGANDA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND IS A
CORRUPTION FREE ENVIRONMENT