Background: The Northern Uganda Resilience Initiative (NURI) is one of three engagements under the Uganda Programme on Sustainable and Inclusive Development of the Economy (UPSIDE), which is a thematic programme of the Danish Country Programme for Uganda 2018-2022, for which a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between the Government of Denmark and the Government of Uganda.
NURI pursues enhanced resilience and equitable economic development in supported areas of Northern Uganda, including for refugees and host communities, by supporting Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA), Rural Infrastructure (RI), and Water Resources Management (WRM). NURI will be implemented over 4 years from 2019 to 2022.
Geographically NURI covers 13 districts, namely; Arua, Madi Okollo, Pakwach, Nebbi, Zombo, Moyo, Obongi,Adjumani and Koboko in West Nile sub region – and Agago, Kitgum and Lamwo in the Acholi Sub Regions ofNorthern Uganda. Besides targeting nationals, NURI works with refugee settlements within selected districts.
Selected settlements include Rhino Camp Refugee settlement, Palorinya Refugee Settlement, Imvepi settlement and three selected refugee settlements in Adjumani District and Palabek Refugee Settlement in Lamwo District.
NURI activities are implemented by various local partners, e.g. District Farmers Associations (DFAs), and Resilient Agricultural Units (RAUs).
Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) will be implemented in the Geographical area by a Resilience Agricultural Unit (RAU) or Implementing Partner. A Coordination Function has been established to oversee and coordinate the implementation of NURI programme in the above-mentioned districts and seeks to hire a dedicated and hardworking Ugandan national to fill the position of Accountant –Agago RAU under the NURI Programme.
Reporting Accountant works under the overall guidance and directly reports to the
Duty Station Agago-RAU: Agago District in the Acholi Sub Region of Northern Uganda.
Purpose and role summary
Provides financial and administrative services to the RAU while ensuring the highest
standards of discretion and integrity and a sense of responsibility. The Accountant
undertakes the daily financial management of RAU and ensures it’s done in accordance with the NURI financial management guidelines. Supervision received is focused on the timeliness of process execution and the quality of outputs. Work is reviewed for correctness in the application of financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines.
Summary of Duties:
Perform a range of specialized finance support functions and services for operational and paymentrelated work of the RAU, including initiating and processing financial transactions in the Quick Books System and verifying that information and supporting documentation are in compliance with financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and applicable standards.
Specific duties include but not limited to:
• Process accounts receivable including, adjustments and changes. Manage cash receipts and petty cash.
• Undertake monthly bank reconciliation and follow up on outstanding issues including contacting banks to clarify issues on account statements.
• Monitor expenditure and budget allocations, updating information on Unit bank accounts and informing Coordinator when funds need to be replenished.
• Prepare and input, run reports and extract and compile financial data and present information on the status of financial resources of the RAU to support analysis and reporting needs.
• Respond to requests for general information and routine queries on the status of payments and other budgetary issues
• Keep abreast of financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures, guidelines and processes and share information with concerned parties.
• Review and verify Unit financial reports, closely monitor reported expenditures as a basis for budgetary control in respect of approved budgets
• Maintain petty cash book and/or records for the recording of financial data pertaining to the petty cash account
• Prepare payment requests for staff travels allowances and for payments to suppliers.
• Submit timely replenishment requests to NURI CF – Finance Office (FAO) to ensure consistent availability of sufficient funds for timely implementation of a wide range of NURI programme activities.
• Advise the Coordinator on all aspects of accounts and financial control procedures in order to ensure compliance with NURI/RDE financial rules and regulations.
• Provide Financial advisory support to RAU staff on NURI financial reporting procedures to ensure compliance with rules and regulations.
• Prepare responses in respect of accounting and audit queries that may be raised by NURI Coordination Function Finance Office
• Prepare the unit procurement plan
• Provide administrative support services to the RAU.
• Assist in office transport coordination, arrange fuel replenishments, maintain records on vehicle and Motor cycles services and ensure good maintenance of office equipment.
• Assist in any other administrative and personnel chores related to human resources and office administration e.g. Payroll, maintaining staff leave records, Stores and Inventory Management
• Maintain and update the unit Asset register.
• Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• The ideal candidate for the Accountant role should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, BBA/Accounts, Finance
• ACCA and or CPA professional Qualification will be added advantage,
• A minimum of 3 years of experience required in working in Finance and Administration,
preferably with an NGO using the Quick Books Accounting system.
• Good knowledge of PC software (including a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation software) such as Microsoft Office
• Ability to interpret and work within the applicable financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Sense of responsibility to maintain data integrity
• Ability to work with confidential material
• Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and nondiscriminatory behaviour and attitudes
• Ability to work in a team and to work under pressure
• Excellent knowledge of English is required. Working knowledge of the relevant local language in Acholi sub region is an advantage
How to apply
Closing date Wed 20th January ,2021.