Position : Accountant – Reporting (1)
Department : Finance
Reports to : Finance Manager
Job Summary : To support sound business decision-making through the collection, analysis, investigation, management and accurate reporting of financial information within agreed deadlines. The role is also responsible for compliance with statutory obligations of the Hospital.
To maximise the income associated with the investment of surplus cash balances, securing a competitive return on them and at the same time ensuring that the hospital has sufficient (liquid) rises to meet its day to day expenditure commitments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Cash flow management; Cash flow forecasting and working capital monitoring, planning and forecasting for incomes and expenditure.
- Provides for a sound system of assurances on financial and accounting operations.
- Ensures all business transactions are reasonable, appropriate, and comply with operational policies and procedures.
- Analyze and collate information to produce periodic reports, e.g. income statements, balance sheets, cash flows and supporting schedules, compares actuals against budget, analyses and identifies trends.
- Analyzes and review financial data, prepare regular financial statements and reports for both internal and external purposes. To compile financial statements and avail them to the Finance Manager for review before submission of the same to external auditors.
- Review and approve entries, reconciliations, and amendments to the noncurrent register.
- Approve journals accruals and any other period-end adjustments generated by subordinates and update ledgers with the same.
- Check and review bank payments on the straight-to-bank online payment platform.
- Review and release all expenses and purchases to update ledgers.
- Investigate and recommend reversals where necessary and seek approvals of the same from the Finance Manager.
- Compile a consolidated and Aged monthly Accounts payables Report and submit it to the Finance Manager.
- Review the payroll and the monthly payroll journal and update the ledgers.
- Review all stock/Inventory reconciliations and ensure variances are followed up and analysis reports done.
- Supervise assigned Accounts Assistants.
- Adhere to approved accounting procedures/processes and internal controls that allow management to have confidence in the integrity of the financial reporting of the Hospital and monitor the execution thereof.
- Ensure a sound system of internal assurances and controls for the department.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and practices (GAAP), and a good understanding and application of concepts, theories, principles, practices, terminology and applied bases of accounting.
- Monitor financial and operational risks and provide solutions when risks are identified.
- Take full responsibility for the performance management of direct reports (subordinates).
- Ensure completeness, accuracy and validity in preparing statutory and management accounts.
- Support the Finance Manager in long term financial planning for the organization.
- Facilitate Audits (internal and statutory audits); Coordinate annual External Audits and respond to Management comments and Audit queries. Communicate with the Auditors and coordinate the entire audit exercise.
- Report to the Finance Manager on the status of operations on a weekly basis.
- Perform any other duties incidental to the above assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Graduate in Accounting, Finance, Commerce or Business.
- Professional Accounting qualification (ACCA or CPA)
- At least four years’ experience in similar position
- Experience in the Health Industry is an added advantage
- Good computer literacy with excellent use of Office-Excel, Word, Power point and
- Experience in use of accounting software and ERP
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent report writing skills
- Strong communication and team leadership skills
- Business and financial management skills
- Negotiation, influencing, interpersonal skills
- Ability to motivate, supervise and develop others
- Problem solver with strong analytical and numeracy skills
- Proactive, self-starter with strong organisational and time management skills
- Ability to operate at a strategic level in addition to delivering at an operational level
- Must hold very high professional integrity