The Accounts Assistant is responsible for timely and accurate processing of transactions; accounts payable management; classifying, recording and reconciling transactions in NAV Microsoft Dynamics
- Financial processes
- Assists the Accountant to ensure that payments are processed on time. Completes weekly journals for posting.
- Files statutory returns on time.
- Verifies the accuracy and authenticity of accountabilities. Identifies appropriate general ledger codes for expensing accountabilities in NAV. Correctly apportions approved shared costs to different projects.
- Assists the Accountant in the preparation of monthly bank and/or mobile money reconciliations.
- Reconciles accounts payable. Obtains vendor statements and compares with NAV transactions, identifies errors and passes journal entries for correction.
- Assists in the issuing and receiving of inventory and completing inventory journals.
- Performs periodic asset verifications, cash counts and stock counts at IDI and/or field offices
- Financial systems and security
- Identifies internal controls that require improvement and suggests appropriate policy and procedure modifications for improved internal control. Ensures that all financial systems provide adequate audit trail and documentation.
- Ensures that all documents are archived and maintained in a safe and secure manner for the time periods specified by IDI’s policies.
- Assists the Accountant obtain support documents, prepares analyses of accounts for audits.
- Ensures all paperwork is properly archived at the end of each audit.
And any other duties as may reasonably be assigned from time to time.
- A minimum of Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting option) or Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) (Finance/ Accounting), from a reputable Institution/University.
- ACCA or CPA qualification (or in the process of being certified, Level 2 minimum)
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible experience in professional accounting or auditing is required.
Required Competencies and skills and Knowledge;
- High levels of professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Demonstrated experience in working with and managing Sub-grantees
- Knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and IFRS
- Demonstrated skills in developing and managing budgets and fiscal control principles
- Demonstrated skills in developing and monitoring systems and capacity building of external stakeholders
- Relevant skills in automated accounting software systems and database spreadsheets