Based in Kampala, Uganda, the Associate Program Officer will assist in the development and management of grant investments, primarily in health and education in East Africa. Approximately 50% of his/her time will be focused on supporting the growing ELMA Community Grants Program. The Associate Program Officer will report to the East Africa Program Manager and will work closely with a team of five in the Kampala office, as well as colleagues based in New York, Cape Town, and Johannesburg. S/he will be joining a collaborative and dynamic global team. The ability to be a self-starter and an active and collegial team player is essential to success in this role.
With offices in New York City, Cape Town, Johannesburg, and Kampala, The ELMA Philanthropies Services develops program strategies, identifies and explores grant and other investing opportunities, monitors investment performance, and establishes philanthropic relationships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. This Group includes The ELMA Foundation, The ELMA Relief Foundation, The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation, The ELMA Music Foundation, The ELMA Growth Foundation, and The ELMA South Africa Foundation. The ELMA Philanthropies is largely focused on providing these services to the largest foundation within the group, The ELMA Foundation. A full description of the activities of each Foundation can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org.
The ELMA Foundation’s mission is to improve the lives of African children and youth through support of sustainable efforts to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. It is primarily active across eastern and southern Africa. In addition to supporting large-scale programs, through the ELMA Community Grants Program, The ELMA Foundation supports over 100 community-based organizations serving children.
The ELMA Relief Foundation’s mission is to provide post-disaster emergency assistance throughout the globe with special attention to the needs of children, who often suffer disproportionately in the aftermath of such tragedies.
The ELMA South Africa Foundation funds selected programs not aimed specifically at children, within the country of South Africa.
The ELMA Music Foundation’s supports youth development through music in the United States and South Africa.
The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation’s mission is to expand vaccine and immunization coverage for children globally.
The ELMA Growth Foundation’s mission is to invest exclusively in Africa in the growth or expansion of initiatives focused on the economic and social development of low-income individuals, families, and communities.
· Conduct thorough due diligence, including critical analysis of proposals, budgets, work-plans, monitoring and evaluating frameworks, organizational strengths and weaknesses, and external risk factors of grantees
· Manage with diligence and precision relevant aspects of grants administration, including timely preparation, review and maintenance of all grant reports and documentation
· Maintain and update all records and documents related to East Africa grants in ELMA’s grants management database
· Assist in the drafting of grant recommendations and other documents for ELMA’s boards
· Critically monitor the programmatic effectiveness and financial management of grantees and report this to senior management
· Undertake analysis and prepare tables, reports and factsheets for presentation to the board, other colleagues, and stakeholders
· Support scheduling and communication with partners, potential grantees, and current grantees
· Respond to phone and e-mail inquiries
· Other duties, as assigned
· Undergraduate degree required, Masters qualification preferred
· At least two years of experience working in the education, health, or development sectors within eastern Africa
· Respect for the diversity of ELMA colleagues, grantees, beneficiaries, and stakeholders
· Excellent research and analytical skills and ability to write and present effectively in English for a variety of audiences
· Ability to analyze budgets and other financial information
· Ability to source, synthesize, and effectively present information and data
· Excellent communicator and able to collaborate on multi-country teams as well as with external stakeholders and partners
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize and multi-task
· Proficient with Microsoft Office software
· A valid passport and ability to travel in the region as needed
· Ability to work non-traditional hours as needed
· A Ugandan citizen or having legal authorization to work in Uganda
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits package.
The ELMA Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements and feel equipped for this challenging position, please submit your application to email@example.com by 31 August 2020
Your application should include the following:
· Cover letter
· Details of three contactable referees.