Transportation of items, persons and General Maintenance of the vehicle
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performing the daily checks on the truck/bus assigned to him/her including, but not limited to, headlights, warning lights, type condition and pressure, fuel level, lubricants.
- Reporting any technical failure, missing items or damage on any of the Project trucks/ Buses to the Logistics Officer.
- Reporting to the operations/fleet Manager if any truck/ bus is due for service or needs fuel/lubricants.
- Ensuring the truck is properly cleaned during and after every mission and participating in the work to do so.
- Daily updating the truck/ bus logbook and ensuring that every journey is properly recorded.
- Handing over the updated truck logbook to the operations/fleet Manager for checking after every mission.
- Ensuring that fuel issued to their respective vehicles is properly used and controlled.
- Ensuring that all required documents are present and in good order (i.e. copies of logbooks, road license, insurance, driver’s license).
- Assisting the Operations/fleet Manager in the keeping of computerized records in the transport department as may be required.
- Ensuring the vehicle always has a correctly functioning fire extinguisher and a properly equipped first aid kit.
- Ensuring that he knows how to operate the fire extinguisher and what steps to take to offer first aid in the event of an accident.
- Always considering the safety of him/herself and his passengers and goods as a priority.
- Making use of reliable information and sound judgment concerning safe routes and proper timing while on mission.
- Parking the truck at the warehouse compound upon arrival in Kampala, unless senior Project management has issued specific differing instructions.
- Ensuring that he/she respects traffic rules and regulations, and acts as a polite and well-behaved driver in regard to the other traffic and road users.
- At least 4-6 years’ working experience in similar position with some years spent in an NGO.
- Ability to drive long distances within and outside the country.
- Ability to read and write.
- Flexibility in working patterns and able to work for long hours, and away from duty station when the need arises.
- Acceptable communication skills with a patient character are an asset.
- Valid driving permit for classes for buses, trucks and trailers is a must.
- A valid PSV badge is a must for candidates interested in Bus driving.
- Experience in left hand drive is desirable.
- Knowledge of defensive driving is an added advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- High level of honesty and Integrity
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Willingness to work in any part of the country