Agribusiness Development Centre (ADC) exists to support Farmer Based Organizations (FBOs) that have potential to contribute to the agricultural value chain but currently lack the organizational, technical and structural capacity to operate in a sustainable way. The FBO’s selected by the ADC, should be driven by the need to grow and develop independently through access to various support partners like finance providers, markets and organizational capacity building entities. However, various organizations are not bankable or cannot access these opportunities because they lack certain skills and/ or have gaps in governance structures.
The ADC intends to identify the gaps within the FBOs and bridge them through specific training interventions to ensure they are bankable within a certain period of time (currently 5 years). After the time has elapsed the group should be in position to access relevant forms of financing to be provided by Rabo Foundation and eventually dfcu Bank and/ other commercial banks once the FBO is sufficiently organized and able to provide adequate collateral to back the financing.
Objectives of ADC
The ADC provides training in management, governance and financial skills to strengthen FBOs in respect of efficiency and creating economies of scale, in order to make them profitable, sustainable and bankable enterprises that are able to provide efficient and effective services to their farmers. The ADC plans to work with other partners in case additional (agronomical) training is required for the target group. At the end of the ADC 5-year training program a minimum of 75% of these FBO’s are self-sufficient and bankable which implies that they are ready and have acceptable conditions for commercial financing.
The ADC is seeking two (02) qualified candidates for the position of Business Advisor (01 Eastern region and 01 Central region) to provide training and coaching services in organizational development, financial literacy and Agricultural marketing to FBOs and SMEs in agribusiness. The Business Advisors will be stationed in the ADC offices hosted in: dfcu Bank Mbale, Eastern region and ADC head office Kampala, Central region.
The Business Advisors in respective regions will serve and be responsible for implementing ADC interventions with a special focus on ADC key value chains as relevant to the ADC investment members (dfcu Bank and Rabo Foundation). She/he will work closely with professionals from the Rabo Foundation and dfcu bank..
Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Business Advisor will have the following duties and responsibilities:
• To conduct scoring of FBOs and SMEs in agribusiness with the RACOS scoring tool to assess the potential of their organizations and to identify the training needs and progress made.
• To facilitate training both face to face and virtual to FBOs in line with the ADC areas of intervention: good governance and internal management, communication and reporting, economic principles and business concepts for cooperatives, financial literacy and management.
• Provide training and support FBOs on supply chain development and economies of scale.
• Provide mentorship and coaching to FBOs and ensure that the knowledge and skills imparted are put to use in the FBO operations.
• To monitor developments and progress of ADC clients based among others on jointly established yearly targets and key performance indicators written down in yearly action plans.
• To give follow-up and advise to ADC clients.
• To conduct relevant sectorial studies and update existing documents.
• To keep updated ADC information systems on clients and contribute to knowledge management of the ADC:
1. deliver monthly reports, call reports, AGM minutes and financial accountabilities
2. keep updated for each client the training logs, action plans, field visits, communication
3. legal and tax framework
4. inform on potential loan providers
• Provide FBOs with critical financial insights to improve on their operational effectiveness and efficiency: critical financial management components – cashflows, audits, financial products, financial management and controls.
• Build and maintain relations with key stakeholders (development partners, district authorities, ADC investment members and sector actors).
• With a clear understanding of market facilitation approach / model, support build linkages with relevant support environment (finance, market, inputs and technical assistance)
• Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
Personal Competencies and attributes
• Goal oriented and willing to go the extra mile to deliver results (patient attitude, pro-active, convincing and target-driven).
• Ability to connect and collaborate with other people (team player)
• Training and facilitation skills.
• A good understanding of groups dynamics and challenges faced by FBOs in Uganda.
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability (gender sensitivity and ability to contextualize cross cutting themes into programming).
• Being an open and reliable person with high integrity.
• Private and public network and partnership development ability.
• Committed to smallholder farmers’ economic development.
• Able and willing to work independently with multiple stakeholders and with the professionals of Rabo Foundation and dfcu Bank (plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, communicate).
• Eloquent communication and reporting skills (pay attention to details).
• Excellent command of Computer skills (MS Office: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, spreadsheets and presentations, internet).
• Demonstrable skills in Management Information Systems (MIS) for learning.
• Willingness to spend long hours in the field.
• Unwavering commitment to data-driven program monitoring & evaluation.
• Be ready to live and work in the region.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with extensive agribusiness, financial expertise, social works and community rural development and training experience to grow and further develop the ADC training program that will make significant impact in the agricultural sector in Uganda. Specific requirements include:
• A minimum of three years’ experience in a related field.
• Experience in the rural based programming, value chain development, private and financial sector is highly desirable.
• Experience as business advisor/consultant for cooperatives, Sacco’s other FBO’s.
• Experience in resolving FBO conflicts.
• Experience in training and facilitation for FBOs/ Cooperatives.
• Experience and competences in using digital tools and innovations.
• Previous experience in AgriFin practical tools in financial services.
• Knowledge of agriculture (Agribusiness development), a specialization in financial management and modelling or business law will be very relevant.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Agribusiness related course, Business Law, Finance,
• Economics social studies from an accredited college or university is required.
• A master’s degree in any of the above fields is an added advantage.
• Fluency in written and spoken English a must, good knowledge and understanding of
• local language of the region an added advantage (Central Region Luganda and
• Eastern Region Lumasaba / Lugisu / Luganda).
How to apply
1. Interested candidates are required to submit their CV, cover letter and a recent passport size photograph by the 30th of November 2020 5:00pm, by email to: Emmanuel Obuko, A.g. General Manager, ADC email@example.com and cc: Jannet Nongom, Jannet.Nongom@adc.ug
2. Physically to:
Agribusiness Development Center
Plot 1 Mackinnon Road
P.O Box 70 Kampala (U)
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for further deliberations.
Clearly indicate duty station of preference in the cover letter REF:
N.B: If you do not hear from us after 2 weeks of the deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
We are an equal opportunity employer, for this we encourage all to apply