Kyagalanyi Coffee Ltd. (KCL) is a member of the Volcafe group, the coffee division of ED&F Man. It is one of the leading coffee exporters in Uganda. We buy Arabica and Robusta in all coffee producing regions and export about 15% of Uganda’s coffee production to over 30 consuming countries around the world. The company heavily invests in Uganda’s coffee infrastructure and people. Our quality-oriented business strategy aims to uplift the entire coffee sector and improve the quality perception of Ugandan Arabica and Robusta around the glove.
Sustainability and farmer support projects are key components of our business. KCL works with over 25,000 farmers in certified value chains. To ensure we can deliver on our sustainability work, we are looking for a Certification & Project Manager to join our Sustainability team.
Duties and responsibilities:
The Certification & Project Manager will be responsible for compliance and drive continuous improvement for all Rainforest Alliance and C.A.F.E. Practices (CP) licenses of KCL. (S)he will also be responsible for acquisition, implementation and reporting on small and medium sized roaster and donor projects in our certified value chains.
- Maintain and expand RA and CP certification licenses; coordinate compliance with certification standards within KCL and with member farms and prepare & handle certification audits.
- Drive continuous improvement process within KCL and with member farms
- Overall responsibility for coffee traceability for certifications & clients, including alignment with commercial, production & logistic teams
- Overall responsibility for certification data (GMR, smart meters; using data to drive change)
- Full responsibility of small and medium sized client & donor projects, including proposal, budget and workplan development, project implementation, budget management, deliverables, M&E and reporting to clients and donors
- Support the development, implementation and reporting of large projects
- Assist in staff performance management
- Overall responsibility for project data with the aim to improve efficiencies and assess impact
- Improve efficiencies by identifying problems, solutions & innovations
- Build capacity of sustainability team on staff, project, financial and certification management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone with the following skills, experience, and knowledge:
- MSc in project management or relevant degree
- 8-10 years relevant experience as an agricultural project and/or certification manager
- Proven experience in developing & managing budgets (100,000 $), developing & implementing project KPIs and workplans, and being accountable for spend and delivery on targets
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation, data management processes, tools and software and proven ability to work with large databases
- Proven ability to lead remote field teams (min. 20 people)
- Proven experience with driving change and innovation
- Hands-on knowledge of RA (UTZ) certification; experience with CP and AAA is a significant advantage
- Good understanding of coffee agronomy and coffee trade are significant advantages
- Proficiency in software packages including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams) and document management
- Strong planner (time management; field vs office responsibilities)
- Logical thinker with strong writing skills
- Innovator, who is proactive, independent, autonomous
- Ability to work in a high pressure, high performance remote environment
- Strong communicator
All applications should be sent to email@example.com by not later than 14th October 2021. Applications should be in the form of one electronic documents which includes a covering letter and up to date CV.
Here at ED&F Man we are guided by our five company values: Respect, Integrity, Meritocracy, Client Focus and Entrepreneurship. Our values are underpinned by a set of essential behaviours, which form part of our performance management approach. Delivering on our objectives is very much about ‘what’ we do, but these essential behaviours also provide a guide and measure for ‘how’ we do things. Our performance essentials are Take Initiative, Self‐Management, Deliver Results and Collaboration.
Equal Opportunities Statement
ED&F Man is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment. All qualified applicants will receive equal treatment without regard to race, colour, sex, gender, age, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, marital or civil partner status, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment (identity, gender expression), genetic information or any characteristic protected by local law.