ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SHORT-TERM JOB OPENING
Terms of Reference
Climate Finance Specialist
Duration of contract: 1 year (with possibility of extension)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Host: EADB/Regional Collaboration Centre Kampala
The Regional Collaboration Centre (RCC) Kampala was established in 2013 by the United Nations Framework Convention for Climate Change (UNFCCC) secretariat and the East Africa Development Bank (EADB) to provide hands-on climate change support to stakeholders and governments in Eastern and Southern Africa in collaboration with partners such as NGOs and the private sector.
On climate finance, the RCC facilitates efforts to scale up climate finance and investment in contributing to the objectives of the Convention, Protocol and Paris Agreement and support activities at the country level.
Specifically at the twenty-third session of the Conference of the Parties (COP) in 2017 in its decision pertaining to long-term climate finance, the UNFCCC secretariat was requested in collaboration with the operating entities of the Financial Mechanism, United Nations agencies and bilateral, regional or multilateral channels to explore ways and means to assist developing country Parties in assessing their climate finance needs and priorities, in a country-driven manner, including technological and capacity-building needs, and to translate these climate finance needs into action (6/CP.23, para 10). The secretariat was also requested in previous CMP decisions, to support the CDM Executive Board in the facilitation of financing of projects. Collectively these mandates form a secretariat-wide initiative called the Needs-Based-Finance project, which aims to facilitate the access and mobilization of climate finance and investment, in supporting the needs identified by developing countries for the implementation of their priority projects and programmes as outlined in their nationally determined contributions (NDCs), national adaptation plans (NAPs) and other relevant national policies and/or strategies.
In this context, RCC Kampala is seeking a Climate Finance Expert for the work on climate finance in the two regions (southern and east Africa). The expert will be guided by both the Regional Lead RCC Kampala (at EADB) and responsible Officer(s)/Manager of the Climate Finance sub-division of the UN Climate Change secretariat (UNFCCC).
The functions include:
- Provide support to the Needs Based Finance project in Eastern and Southern Africa, in collaboration with partners of the UNFCCC secretariat.
- Maintain a database of climate finance counterparts in the region to include:
- Ministry of Environment or equivalent e.g. Climate Finance UNFCCC focal points;
- Ministry of Finance or equivalent e.g. National Designated Authorities to the GCF, AF, GEF, CIFs etc;
- Economic and regional commissions etc;
- Development Banks;
- Development Financial Institutions such as MDBs and EXIM banks;
- Commercial Financial Institutions, insurance, foundations, donors, institutional investors;
- Private sector climate finance experts and consultants;
- Project financiers, domestic and international;
- Initiatives and programmes on climate finance capacity building, technology etc.;
- Investment promotion agencies etc.;
- Local savings and sources of potential climate finance;
- CDM and cooperative mechanism projects and developers;
- Follow developments and monitor target markets, develop and maintain a network of private promoters, borrowers and financial institutions;
- Prepare presentation materials, draft reports and developed proposals and press releases;
- Develop partnerships and prepare engagements with agreed outcomes and deliverables;
- Contribute to sourcing of climate finance and development of suitable financing structures and or screening funding proposals;
- Support data collection of finance sources and needs;
- Proactively contribute to the development of the support on finance; propose and implement deliverables with other service providers and partners where appropriate.
- University degree, preferably at master’s level, in finance/business, environmental or climate change sciences, environmental economics, economics or related discipline.
- At least seven years of relevant experience in the financial sector, preferably in corporate banking/finance and/or high yield/sub-investment grade debt and/or mezzanine financing as well as venture capital and/or private equity funds and/or philanthropic funds, development-, climate- and/or carbon finance and funds;
- Strong technical expertise in financial analysis/modelling as well as experience in assessment and design of financial structures and lending facilities, including credit enhancement;
- Proven business development and or investment promotion achievements;
- Experience in responding to and processing proposals from potential clients and converting them into meaningful work proposals or action plans;
- Experience in climate policy, including with representatives of government and non-government;
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Excellent knowledge of English, fluency or a good knowledge in other languages would be an advantage;
- A finance qualification or proven finance, business development or transaction and investment banking or promotion experience and achievements would be a significant advantage.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organizational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organizational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organization whose mission is to support implementation of the Paris Agreement and is open to diversity, and to align their behavior with the organization’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organization’s mission, policies and rules.
How to apply
Candidates, whose qualifications and experience match what we are looking for, please send your resume, a letter of motivation(1 page) and cover letter to RCC Kampala (email@example.com ) by 2 November 2020. Please indicate “Climate Finance Expert” in your email subject.
Only successful candidates will be contacted.