Call for applications – Co-facilitators/ Co-Trainers of training fellowship for journalists in Kenya and Tanzania
Project title: Enhancing Media Capacity for Inclusive Development
Purpose: To organise and co-train journalists in Kenya and Tanzania on investigative journalism, and covering land and natural resources, devolution and public accountability.
Duration: December 2021—May 2022
Location: Kenya, Tanzania
Supervision: Training Coordinator, African Centre for Media Excellence, Kampala, Uganda
The African Centre for Media Excellence (ACME) is a Kampala-based independent, non-profit professional organisation that is committed to excellence in journalism and mass communication in Africa. ACME’s main goal is to make the media a more effective platform for the provision of information on public affairs, a tool for monitoring official power, and a forum for vibrant public debate.
Currently, ACME is implementing a project titled Enhancing Media Capacity for Inclusive Development, which focuses on improving the knowledge and skills of journalists in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to effectively conduct investigative journalism, and cover land and natural resources, environment, urbanisation, public sector accountability and devolution. In 2020 ACME commenced implementation in Uganda and, now in partnership with the National Endowment for Democracy, will roll out the programme in Kenya and Tanzania.
The co-trainer is responsible for training and mentoring of editors, reporters and citizen journalists, and for supporting them in producing quality, impactful public affairs reporting.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The co-trainers will assist in the facilitation and development of virtual training for journalists to be held from January to May 2022. They will work with ACME’s training team to develop:
- Four 10-day virtual courses on investigative journalism for journalists in Kenya and Tanzania.
- Four 10-day virtual courses on covering land and natural resources, environment, urbanisation and public accountability for journalists in Kenya and Tanzania.
- One 10-day virtual course on covering devolution for journalists and independent content creators in Kenya.
The co-trainer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Participate in the selection of journalists and independent content creators for each workshop.
- Adapt ACME’s training materials to suit each country’s unique context.
- Design a training programme in collaboration with ACME.
- Contact and invite expert speakers suitable for each workshop.
- Choose and implement a range of facilitation tools and techniques that appeal to the learning styles of the participants.
- Assist participants, through a post-course mentoring process, to produce compelling stories for broadcast/publication after the training.
- Write an activity report after each workshop.
- Any other duties as designated by ACME’s training coordinator.
This position will be based Kenya and Tanzania and will function remotely. Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, all activities will be conducted virtually. All costs associated with this programme will be borne by ACME.
- QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
ACME seeks candidates with:
- Previous experience in training of mid-career journalists.
- Demonstrated knowledge in adapting training to a virtual environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current public affairs debates in their countries.
- At least a five-year track record or relevant experience in reporting on public affairs.
- A high level of professionalism and the ability to work independently and in high-pressure situations under tight deadlines.
- Availability to provide the deliverables within the expected timeline.
- OUR COMMITMENT TO FOSTERING AN INCLUSIVE CULTURE
ACME is an organisation of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about supporting the news media to become reliable and credible sources of information, effective watchdogs, and vibrant forums for public debate. We believe in diverse and strong teams and therefore work toward an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all. Our team is a mix of genders and people of multiple ages, ethnicities, and socioeconomic backgrounds. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage candidates of all genders, races, ages, orientations, and national origins to apply.
- HOW TO APPLY
Interested consultants must submit, no later than 17 November 2021, the following:
- An expression of interest outlining how the co-trainer meets the selection criteria and understanding of the TOR.
- Names and contacts of three recent professional referees or previous clients for whom similar work has been done.
- A curriculum vitae outlining relevant qualifications and experience.
- Any relevant supporting documentation.
Applications should be sent to ACME by email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email reading: “Application for co-trainer consultancy”.
- SELECTION AND COMMENCEMENT OF WORK
Selection of candidates and follow-up interviews will take place by 4 December 2021. Successful consultants will be expected to commence work no later than 15 December 2021.
For more questions, send an email to email@example.com.