ABOUT SOLIDARIDAD EAST AND CENTRAL AFRICA
Solidaridad is an international solution-oriented civil society organization with over 50 years of experience in developing solutions to make communities more resilient and create more sustainable supply chains. We work throughout the entire value chain to make sustainability the norm. Our innovative solutions support the transition to an inclusive economy that provides sustainable livelihoods with fair and profitable business opportunities. This includes decent working conditions, a fair living wage, and production in balance with nature so that all people can thrive now and for generations to come. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Solidaridad East, and Central Africa has country offices and programmes in Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda, and outreaches in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Burundi, Rwanda, and Cameroon.
Title: Communications Officer
Duration: 1-year contract (extension based on performance)
Reporting line: Country Manager – Uganda
Position level: Junior level
- SABC recruitment : Latest Jobs & Online Application
- Driving Vacancies & recruitment ( March 2024) : Open Jobs/ Application
- DHL recruitment : Open Jobs/Vacancies
- Eskom Recruitment : Open Jobs/Vacancies
- NEPAD Recruitment : 17 Open Jobs/Online application
- Old Mutual Recruitment : Open Jobs/Online application
- NGO Vacancies & recruitment : Open Jobs/ Application
Location: Kampala, Uganda Country Office
Solidaridad is implementing a five-year multinational project dubbed ‘From Climate Victims to Climate Heroes’ that seeks to improve the landscapes and livelihoods of 50,000 smallholder coffee farmers in the Eastern, Northern, Western, Central, and West Nile regions of Uganda through carbon farming and financing. Solidaridad is therefore seeking to recruit a dynamic and innovative professional for the position of Communication Officer.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The primary role of the Communications Officer is to support Solidaridad East and Central Africa in Uganda in its internal and external communications efforts. The individual will be responsible directly for the timely delivery of a variety of communication materials and activities. The individual work under the direct supervision of the Country Manager – Uganda and the Regional Communications and Knowledge Management Manager and will be based in Kampala, Uganda with up to 50% field travel.
The Communications Officer will support communication and visibility efforts through the implementation of communication plans. Specifically, the individual will lead or provide support in the documentation of impact & success stories, photography & videography, social media & media engagement, packaging, and designing communication materials/messaging for internal and external audiences in line with Solidaridad’s communication and visibility guidelines.
The individual will collaborate with the project and support teams internally, key partners and stakeholders, media, and contribute to Solidaridad’s positioning to key audiences. The individual will work with various teams to collect or tailor and package information for use in different platforms to increase visibility and credibility and build the profile of the organization.
- Support the implementation of communication plans and collaborate with technical teams to tailor/curate compelling content for various audiences – success stories, key messaging, social media graphics, articles, reports, and thought leadership articles to showcase/promote Solidaridad’s work and impact.
- Contribute to maintaining an updated internal database on the organization’s intranet. Regularly review and update key informational and promotional Solidaridad and project communication and visibility materials.
- Support the development of project communication and visibility materials e.g. banners, IEC materials, briefs, one-pagers, factsheets, press briefs, etc.
- Ensure compliance with Solidaridad communication and branding guidelines in all communication outputs.
- Establish relationships and work with national and local media contacts to enhance publicity and visibility in various media channels including TV, radio, print, and social media.
- Support events coordination.
- Curate social media content that is timely and relevant for Solidaridad audiences across Google Currents, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn platforms.
- Research, engage, and build connections with key national stakeholders and influencers to improve Solidaridad’s visibility on social media.
- In collaboration with the Regional Communication and Knowledge Management Manager, ensure messaging is consistent and accurately reflects the Solidaridad brand voice and tone across all social media platforms and communication materials.
- Design social media posters, banners, header images, and graphics for everyday use.
- Lead development of branded collateral such as graphics, project fliers, reports posts, factsheets, and other communication, visibility materials, etc. for use in promoting the Solidaridad brand.
- Liaise with service providers as required to manage production quality.
- Other duties assigned.
- A Bachelor Degree in Mass Communication, Journalism, and related disciplines from a reputable university.
- 4+ years of professional experience in communications. Experience in development communications is a plus.
- Solid experience in graphic design and the use of graphic design software is a must. Demonstrable skills/experience in Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, and Adobe Photoshop required.
- Excellent analytical skills to translate complex ideas into aesthetically pleasing, understandable, attention-grabbing information.
- Experience in multimedia, digital marketing, graphics design, journalism, media, and/or communication industry. A sharp sense of graphic design and digital media trends.
- Strong English writing skills with demonstrable experience.
SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent written communication with the ability to write on various topics for different audiences.
- Support in monitoring and analyzing engagement on social media and drafting engagement reports.
- Able to identify and document strong, impact stories/case studies.
- Skills in the documentation of projects’ best practices and learned lessons are an advantage.
- Working knowledge of social media and online communications (including Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn).
- Passion and interest in rural development.
- Flexible, willing to grow professionally and to learn new skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse team members.
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop new skills within the role.**
How to Apply
Interested candidates that meet the above qualifications should send their one-page cover letter (including salary expectations and availability) and CVs to:
Subject: “Communications Officer Uganda”
Deadline for submission: 29 April 2022 at 5:00pm (EAT). The CVs will be evaluated as they are received. Only successful candidates will be contacted.**