To manage the organization’s compliance activities in the country and operate with a day-to-day focus on Uganda.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Ensure M-KOPA’s operations are compliant with local and national laws, contractual and shareholder obligations, and best practices.
- Research regulatory developments and work with government relations to assess and evaluate the impact of changes in applicable legislation and international best practices.
- Recommend the review and revision of policies to ensure agreement on changes in new laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Conduct staff training programs, design tools to re-enforce a culture of compliance
- Partner with internal units such as Legal, Internal Audit, EHS, and Risk Management, to assess and ensure the effectiveness of control systems in driving compliance.
- Lead on internal and external reporting on all aspects of compliance
- Recommend the review and revision of policies to ensure agreement with existing and new laws, regulations, and best practices.
- Lead on internal and external reporting on all aspects of compliance.
- Monitor implementation status of agreed action points aimed towards driving compliance.
- Identify, understand, and escalate compliance risk events/issues in a timely manner and focus on fixing the root causes of the issues.
- Manage the compliance tools such as compliance obligations register, compliance training calendar, compliance incident register, and compliance risk register.
EXPERIENCE/ SKILLS & COMPETENCIES/ LICENCES & CERTIFICATIONS/ EDUCATION REQUIRED
- 3-5 years working experience in a compliance function
- An undergraduate degree is in business or related function. A degree in law will be an added advantage.
- Working knowledge in compliance standards and regulations.
- Experience in risk management.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Communicate and collaborate with diverse team members.
- Generally structured and organized
At M-KOPA, our aim is to increase access to life-improving technologies at huge scale. We do this through an innovative credit model – pay-as-you-go asset financing – of which M-KOPA was an early global pioneer. With offices in Nairobi, Kampala, Lagos, and London, M-KOPA serves over 1 million low-income households in Sub-Saharan Africa. Since its commercial launch in 2012, M-KOPA has made its name in off-grid solar power, providing customers with solar panels and solar-powered lights, televisions, radios, fridges, and more – this is often our customers’ first access to electricity.
M-KOPA’s affordable credit model can also be applied to assets beyond off-grid solar power, and in 2019, we began providing credit for smartphones, which enables our customers to move from feature phones to smartphones and improve their connectivity, communication, and information access. Today, smartphone financing is a rapidly growing business line – with enormous opportunities for innovation and increasing our customer impact.
M-KOPA currently employs over 1,000 full-time staff across its operating countries. We value progress, innovation, pragmatism, collaboration, and – most of all – our customers. We have been well recognised for our pioneering business model and scale.