The World Health Organization, Uganda Country Office is seeking the services of qualified and competent Ugandan national to fill the following vacant position of a consultant:
Purpose of consultancy
The purpose of the consultancy is to support selected districts in Uganda to assess their health systems operationality. The consultant will be responsible for coordinating the assessment and ensuring data collection, management and reporting.
The delivery of health services is premised on having a strong and functional sub-national system that coordinates and manages the process of delivery of essential health and related services. This system has different terminology based on the decentralization and administrative structures in countries. Additionally, the decision-making authority varies significantly in countries.
The tools for assessing the operationality of district health systems in the WHO Africa Region has been evolving with their currently being an updated tool for sub-national health systems operationality assessment. The current tool has been applied in various countries assess the sub-national health system operationality. Uganda plans to deploy this tool to assess the operationality of select districts with a view to supporting evidence-based district health system strengthening interventions.
Deliverable 1: An inception report detailing planned method for the assignment and detailed national and district roadmaps for roll out.
Deliverable 2: Capacity building conducted for all relevant stakeholders across various levels, and assessment conducted in select districts.
Deliverable 3: Validated knowledge products (policy brief(s), fact sheet(s) etc) and final report (detailing the process, experiences, lessons learnt, gaps and recommendations) developed and disseminated.
Qualifications, experience, skills and languages
Essential: Advanced level university degree in public health, health policy, health planning or related field.
Desirable: Specialized training and experience in health systems strengthening, health services delivery or district health systems strengthening.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Moving Forward in Changing Environment
Essential: At least 5 years of national and/or sub-national professional and progressive work experience and expertise in health systems assessment, health systems strengthening.
Desirable: Working experience in strategic and policy document development at national or international level, with WHO or another UN Agency, as well as facilitating consultations; writing peer review publications.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Project management skills
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills
REMUNERATION AND BUDGET (travel costs are excluded)
- Remuneration and Budget
Level: National Officer Category at Level (NO-C). Total for 3 months is UGX: 56,544,999
- Payment schedule
- 25% payable on signing of Contract (An inception report detailing planned method for the assignment and detailed national and district roadmaps for roll out).
- 50% payable on completion of deliverable 2 (Capacity building conducted for all relevant stakeholders across various levels, and assessment conducted in select districts).
- 25% payable on completion of deliverable 3 (Validated knowledge products (policy brief(s), fact sheet(s) etc) and final report (detailing the process, experiences, lessons learnt, gaps and recommendations) developed and disseminated.