Job Title: Country Manager, Uganda
Reporting to: DKT Kenya / Uganda Regional Country Director
Based in: Kampala, Uganda
About DKT International:
Since 1989, DKT International has been promoting family planning and HIV/AIDS prevention through social marketing in the developing world. DKT has programs in 50+ countries and, in 2021, provided and sold over 901 million condoms, 111 million cycles of oral contraceptives, 20 million Emergency Contraceptive Pills, 26 million injectable contraceptives, and 4.8 million IUDs. Along with other products, this served over 54 million couples, making DKT International one of the largest private providers of contraceptive products and services in the developing world. DKT International started operations in Kenya/Uganda in 2017 and has since grown to be one of the leading private providers of contraceptive and reproductive health products in both countries. DKT is an innovative and adventurous social enterprise constantly seeking new ways to meet consumer needs for family planning and reproductive health products and services.
The Country Manager, DKT Uganda will be responsible for providing high level management
oversight and expansion of DKT’s contraceptive social marketing program with a focus on
establishment and growth of DKT’s existing and forthcoming programmatic, social marketing, and donor-funded activities.
The Country Manager will be directly responsible for the following:
- Providing day-to-day management, oversight, and leadership for DKT Uganda’s social
marketing program to deliver demonstrated results and impact.
- Leading donor and external partner management; driving program results and high performance on existing and forthcoming donor programs to ensure DKT establishes itself as a go-to partner in Uganda.
- Developing and overseeing implementation of existing and new programmatic initiatives, including expansion of a partner clinic / pharmacy network, community representative model, and other activities that will contribute to DKT growth in Uganda.
- Ensuring compliance with donor contracts and regulations. Ensuring donor activities are properly implemented, within budget and on-time and that donor reporting is of consistently high quality and delivered on-time.
- Engaging actively with key stakeholders including current and potential donor, MoH and other organizations and commercial entities.
- Ensuring robust financial and operating policies and procedures are followed and
documented as per Regional Program’s SOPs and existing policies. Support regional management team to ensure compliance with national government policies and procedures governing company law, employment, financial reporting, taxation, medical and pharmaceutical regulation etc.
- Contributing to sales, marketing, and demand generation strategies and provide oversight for effective implementation on-the-ground.
- Contribute to and ensure conceptualization and implementation of marketing, sales and behavior change campaigns for a range of products, including new product development and launch
- Contributing to longer-term DKT Regional Program strategy development, with an eye towards operational growth in Uganda, establishing a strong sustainability plan, business development strategies, and
NOTE: the Uganda program is a part of a larger regional program supported by regional headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. As a result, there are elements that will be managed or directed by the HQ office based on established policies and procedures. The Country Manager is expected to feed into these elements and provide management and oversight to ensure that systems and coordination between the Uganda office and Nairobi functions are aligned:
- Efficient preparation of procurement requests and planning to support processing from Nairobi HQ.
- Ensuring all goods and services are received in full and providing high level oversight before approvals are issued for payment.
- Ensure proper implementation of and adherence to regional program HR & Admin policies and procedures, including the travel policy, HR processes, and management of Uganda staff.
- Providing leadership and direction for DKT Uganda staff, setting an effective agenda and ensuring performance goals are set and met
- Ensuring that the organization remains mission-focused, and that the organization’s culture and team member’s behaviour reflect the values of the organization.
- Participating in the development and implementation of the organization’s strategy and
business plans for region.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrated program management skills; ability to effectively plan and implement, including across multiple diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrated understanding of compliance and regulations for international donor-funded programs
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial experience in marketing and sales or social marketing programs.
- At least 5 years progressive senior leadership experience managing people, budgets, and public health / social enterprise programs.
- Experience in creating high-quality teams and / or successfully scaling a business, nonprofit, or social initiative; demonstrated ability to hire and provide effective oversight to staff.
- Strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- University degree in business, marketing, public health or related fields.
- MBA, MPH, MD or other relevant degree (preferable)
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset and ‘can do’ attitude; able to problem-solve and quickly implement solutions.
- Unwavering sense of integrity and honesty
- Fluent in English (spoken and written); strong writing capabilities and highly proficient in MS Office
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and provide at least three direct professional references in an email titled “Country Manager – Uganda” to firstname.lastname@example.org