About African Management Institute (AMI)
AMI enables ambitious businesses across Africa to thrive.
We offer workplace learning that equips entrepreneurs and managers with the tools and training they need to succeed. Our model of training combines online and mobile tools with in-person workshops and on-the-job practice.
Tens of thousands of people have been through our programmes, from executives to entry-level workers, in large and small companies across the continent. To date, we have trained over 27,000 people in over 15 countries in Africa.
AMI is expanding rapidly. We have raised investment, opened offices in Nairobi, Johannesburg, and Kigali, and trained over 27,000 people in 30+ African countries.
AMI is now looking for a senior ambitious and entrepreneurial Country Representative to build new relationships as we expand in East Africa, with a view to transforming the impact of business support services to SMEs in Uganda.
This is a senior entrepreneurial business development role, and the candidate will report to AMI’s global Director of Partnerships, while also working closely with the CEO.
The successful candidate will play an instrumental role in a dynamic, international team focused obsessively on results. This is a great opportunity for candidates with a passion for entrepreneurship and/or workplace learning to play a part in Africa’s transformation.
The Country Representative will be an entrepreneurial leader responsible for establishing AMI’s presence in a new country through strategic partnerships. There are three core components of the role:
- Define a strategy for building AMI’s presence in the country/region, and how this presence will support growth at the global level
- Develop relationships – both revenue-generating and strategic – with local partners in the development community, government, business, as well as the SME support and skill-building ecosystems
- Work with our Global Partnerships team to support proposals to international development partners where there is a component that relates to your country/region
- Work with our marketing team to expand AMI’s Thrive community for entrepreneurs and managers locally within your country/region
- The Country Representative role may evolve into a Country Manager role if/when we decide to build a local team, with staff management and governance responsibility
Skills and Competencies:
- Entrepreneurial energy – you should have started or contributed to the start-up of an organisation, or launched a new market, product or project within an existing organisation
- Excellent local networks in your country at a senior level in development circles and/or government (critical) and business (preferred)
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships with external clients at a very senior level
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills, and gravitas with senior stakeholders
- High levels of personal energy and drive, excellent judgement and ability to work independently to build a market
- Creative thinker with a “get things done” mindset, who can quickly adapt to new ideas and pivot based on the situation on the ground
- Fluent English required for all roles.
- Preference will be given to local candidates, although we are open to receiving applications from all nationalities, providing you have extensive experience working in the relevant country
- 10+ years of experience with at least 5 years in business development or partnership management, more recently at a senior level and ideally in an entrepreneurial environment (essential)
- Direct experience of launching something new – a business, project, product or market
- Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders, such as local NGOs, government officials, donor representatives, and local and international staff as well as private sector
- Masters degree or equivalent experience with strong academic background
- Experience working outside the home country and/or in an international organisation (preferred, not essential)