equisition ID: req9549
Job Title: COVID19 Protection Officer
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Under the supervision of the Urban Program Manager, she/he will be directly responsible for providing essential protection and information services to minimize the negative impact of the pandemic through; supporting initiatives to strengthen refuge associations, develop and disseminate easy-to-understand messages on protection, legal frameworks, undertake protection case management for individuals in the communities. Facilitate referrals for protection services and for legal representation to bona fide legal practices who offer pro bono services. Working with Young African Refugee for Integral Development (YARID) and other refugee associations, the Police and other stakeholders in the urban environment to disseminate information in various languages and responding to needs and concerns of refugees in the urban context heightened by COVID pandemic.
She/he will be part of an integrated protection team and working in a consortium with other actors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support and mentoring to community-based structures to increase access to protection information and services
- In close collaboration with YARID and other key refugee associations, co-create an Information Packet customized for different audiences and purposes and translated into various languages spoken by refugee populations.
- Develop visual service maps (UNHCR referral pathways), Government service points, toll free e.t.c to facilitate referrals and case management
- Support development of easy-to-understand information messages on community based protection and legal remedies i.e. protection orders, legal documentation, HLP civil remedies, family justice and determine how to access them.
- Plan and facilitate trainings and capacity building sessions for Refugee associations on national and international protection frameworks to targeted audiences.
- Support implementation of solutions Fund to support low-cost, scalable protection solutions
- Work with refugee associations, Community leaders, the Police and other stakeholders in the legal sphere to identify issues impacting on urban refugees needing legal and protection interventions as a result of COVID-19.
- Provide clients for emergency protection cases among refugees and other vulnerable individuals.
- Participate in Protection Task force meeting.
- Submit daily and weekly data\reports, including narrative of high risk cases to inform appropriate actions.
- Analyze data, highlight trends and protection needs of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Undertake other administrative duties as directed by the Urban Program Manager, required for the functioning of programmes and implementation that are consistent with the role of Access to Justice Officer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in any humanity courses, LLB from a recognized university.
- At least three (3) years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international Organization and significant experience of working with refugee communities and demonstrate an awareness of the challenges in this role may be considered
- Strong understanding of human rights including gender equality, child friendly and juvenile justice and working with vulnerable individuals
- Experience in working on emergency projects
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of Protection, Access to Justice and JLOS frameworks
- Strong training and capacity building skills and report writing
- Strong communication skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships with new communities especially Refugee leaders and government institutions.
- Good understanding of International Human Rights, Refugee Law, Ugandan national laws and policies relating to refugees.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word Excel, Power point and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
- Good standard of spoken and written English language skills essential
- Strong command of Kiswahili is an added advantage.
- This position is open only to Ugandan nationals.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.