Uganda AIDS Commission (UAC) was established in 1992 by an Act of Parliament (Cap 208) and is under the Office of the President of the Republic of Uganda. The Act provides for the Commission to Oversee, Plan and Coordinate AIDS Prevention and Control activities throughout Uganda. UAC’s mandate is to provide oversight and coordination of all HIV/AIDS related activities in the country.
The Commission is looking for qualified individuals to fill the following positions:
Job Title : Data Manager
Salary Scale : UAC 4
Reports to : Director Planning and Strategic Information
Responsible for : None
Purpose of the Job
Manage the data needs of the National HIV Response through developing and maintaining databases, regular analysis and data extractions, data reporting and dissemination for evidence based policy formulation, advocacy and decision making.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the development of policies, procedures and standards for effective data management, data sharing and data security;
- Supervise the design, development, installation and maintenance of UAC databases and data portals, including fine tuning, migrations, system integrations and upgrades, and ensure data integrity and quality;
- Maintain and further develop the structures and formats of the UAC databases (E-mapping, M&E, Gender, Situation Room and Research or others), as required, incorporating ideas and amendments from UAC and partner staff, provided they are related to the National HIV epidemic and response;
- Develop and implement tools and techniques for data collection from various sources (internal and external; structured and unstructured, different formats), entry, storage, integration and analysis that ensure compliance to quality standards, meet stakeholder requirements and adhere to industry best practices;
- Provide technical support to UAC and partner staff on the specific data requirements in relation to the key indicators of the National HIV epidemic and response;
- Carry out statistical analyses and modelling simulations for Strategic planning needs and HIV/AIDs response;
- Develop and provide reports in various formats (graphs, charts, tables) to inform UAC strategic plan monitoring and evaluation, National HIV Response and development of the Integrated Annual Work plans, quarterly and annual reviews of Integrated Annual Work Plan for UAC and Partner (Self Coordinating Entities, GoU, MDAs;
- Develop and maintain Dashboards with web-based and mobile interface for the databases and web content management to ensure accessibility to stakeholders;
- Ensure databases, data repositories and digital archives are protected from security breaches, unauthorized access or modification and data losses;
- Maintain database disaster recovery procedures to ensure continuous availability and speedy recovery of the UAC databases and provide regular updates to management on status of the databases and the efficacy of the disaster recovery mechanisms;
- Support the implementation of NADIC strategy aimed at improving availability of information about HIV and AIDS to internal and external stakeholders;
- Train UAC and Partner staff on use of the databases, and provide user support as required;
- Develop and maintain documentation database design operating manuals for stakeholders of the HIV national response;
- Evaluate, select and implement new database technologies and analyze such technologies’ suitability for existing infrastructure.
- An Honors Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Management Information Systems, or Statistics/Mathematics (computer science option); or its equivalent from a recognized awarding institution
- A Masters degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or Statistics/Mathematics or its equivalent from a recognized awarding institution
- Industry Certifications in IT, Statistics, Data Science and Data Management are an added advantage.
- Eight (8) years of working experience in a senior management position in Government or an Organization of similar status
- Experience in data programming, processing and analysis through such statistical, database and data visualization software programs as STATA, CSPro, SPSS, R, SQL, VBA, Tableau, MS PowerBi
- Demonstrated knowledge of development and maintaining National-Level Databases and Dashboards accessed by a varying stakeholders eg. MDAs, Development Partners, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current programming methodologies and practices, including web based and mobile applications
- Knowledge of Uganda’s HIV/AIDS databases and Research products
- Experience in designing the structure of databases and writing appropriate interfaces (e.g. dashboards) and ensure data quality and security.
- Experience in training staff in use of database management software applications
- Knowledge of the DHIS2 system is an added advantage
Articulate, analytical and decisive with excellent negotiation, communication and presentation skills;
Ability to think independently and work under minimal supervision
Team work, networking and interpersonal relations
Knowledge of website and database management and maintenance
Professional ability to handle sensitive information
Ethics and integrity
If you are interested in any of the positions, please provide a cover letter expressing interest in the job, a detailed CV, certified copies of academic/professional qualifications, employment experience including current position (attach copies of appointment letters) and contact details of three professional referees. Applications indicating the title of the position should be hand delivered to the Director General, Uganda AIDS Commission, Plot 1-3 Salim Bay Road Ntinda P.O. Box 10779, KAMPALA OR submitted by mail to email@example.com.
The closing date for receiving applications is 22nd July 2022 at 5.00pm.
Note: UAC is an equal opportunity employer.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.