Do you blend a strong foundation in statistics, econometrics, or engineering with a proven track record of developing machine or deep learning models? Then we might be a perfect match!
We are looking for a brilliant mind to join our data science team. This is your chance to become a leading data scientist with one of Africa’s most exciting fintech companies.
Laboremus Uganda creates financial technology solutions for clients in East Africa and Europe. We help large banks, financial institutions, and start-up banks get digital. Leveraging our expertise, we also bring financial technology to the underserved: alone and in partnership with others. We believe digital financial services should be tailored, simple, and accessible to everyone.
Laboremus Uganda is part of the Laboremus Group, which was founded in Norway in 1996. Today, the group has offices in Norway, Serbia and Uganda. In 2020, we spun-off Emata, our fintech venture that provides affordable loans to farmers in East-Africa using big data, alternative credit scoring algorithms, and end-to-end digital processes (for more information, visit Emata’s website).
We only employ the best. Our team consist of brilliant developers, product managers and business analysts. We give you both the freedom and responsibility to create work that make you stand out. We continuously invest in personal development through training and certifications, in addition to offering health insurance, salary loans, and daily lunches on our rooftop.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a data scientist that will help us discover information hidden in vast amounts of data to help us make smarter decisions. Your primary focus will be performing exploratory data analyses, develop predictive models, build and maintain data pipelines. All of this will be done to support our lending products. Although you work on various assignments, your primary responsibility is to automate credit scoring using machine learning techniques.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Engaging with the business and collect business requirements, be a proactive partner in proposing solutions
- Data wrangling, Data Analysis, Data preparation for processing
- Implementing different modelling methodologies and algorithms to address business problems, evaluate the pitfalls and strengths of alternatives, bring non-technical people on board with your evaluations and recommendations
- Creating and maintaining data pipelines
- Maintaining and if possible improving current credit scoring algorithms
- Developing predictive models
- Collaborating with development, DevOps and product development teams at Laboremus
You will work in our data science team that is led by a seasoned and internationally experienced data scientist. Subject to your experience, you will be put on a junior or senior track to prepare you for an exciting career in our growing data science team.
In order to join our team, we have some requirements we need you to meet in order for us to know that you are most definitely one of us!
WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- BSc/BA in Statistics, Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field
- Excellent knowledge of discriminative machine learning algorithms (RF, XGB etc), a basic understanding of Bayesian techniques (Ridge Regression, LDA etc)
- Good understanding of time series analysis (SARIMAX, Seasonal Decomposition, Exponential smoothing etc.)
- Familiarity with different ANN architectures and key building blocks such as Convolution and ReLu is appreciated, some hand-on experience with Keras, Tensorflow, Pytorch is not a must but also appreciated
- Good understanding of the key mathematical and statistics building blocks of machine learning models and time series: linear algebra, inference, probability and convex optimization. We don’t someone who can write mathematical proofs, but who understands how the basic concepts come together and when a model can be trusted and when it is likely to break.
- Proven ability to build a scalable data pipeline leveraging at least of R, Python and Spark, and it would be appreciated if additional knowledge is available on any of the following: Azure, AWS or GCP.
- Experience with data visualization (for example matplotlib, ggplot, d3, PowerBI, Tableau)
- Experience with distributed data and computing tools like Map/Reduce, Hive, Hadoop and Spark
- Analytical mind and problem-solving mind-set
- Knowledge of or deep willingness to learn finance, financial inclusion and lending domain
- Strong ambition to grow and learn
WHAT WE OFFER:
We will challenge you, and make you solve complex, real-world problems. We give you both the freedom and responsibility to create work that make you stand out. We offer a great working environment that includes:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefit package incl. health insurance, daily lunches on our rooftop, airtime allowance, access to company loans and more
- Excellent opportunities to develop, learn and grow your career
- Opportunity for 6-12 months training at our head office in Norway
- And most importantly: we offer the most intense foosball games in Kampala.
New Deadline: 23:59 on August 02,2020