The Nile Basin Initiative (NBI) is an inter-governmental organization initiated and led by the Nile riparian countries to promote joint development, protection and management of the common Nile Basin water resources. NBI has a Shared Vision, namely: ‘to promote sustainable socioeconomic development through the equitable utilization of’, and benefit from, the common Nile Basin water resources’. The NBI provides a unique forum for the countries of the Nile Basin to move toward a cooperative process to realize tangible benefits in the basin and build a solid foundation of trust and confidence. NBI has three Centres: Nile-SEC based in Entebbe, Uganda, NELSAP-CU based in Kigali, Rwanda and ENTRO based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Nile-SEC intends to hire a qualified professional for the position of Deputy Executive Director/Head of Basin Wide Program & WRM. The job description for this position is as follows:
The position of Deputy Executive Director/Head of Basin Wide Program & Water Resources Management program sub-component in the Nile Basin Initiative Secretariat is an Executive portfolio. The main purpose of this job is to coordinate projects and programmes to ensure continuous, sustainable, effective and efficient implementation to enhance the development of the Basin as an engine of development in realization of its shared vision for the Nile Basin. The DED will ensure that NBI Objectives and actions are constantly aligned to Global and regional agreements /conventions to which member countries are signatories. The DED will also lead resource mobilization efforts for Nile Sec programs.
Provide leadership in strategic planning, water policy and water resource management functions of the NBI. Guide the participatory and sustainable development of the Nile Basin through provision of strategic analysis and strategic planning services, participatory policy formulation, sound planning for sustainable and equitable development of water and related natural resources, and rigorous management of Nile Basin Initiative programs.
Academic/Professional Qualification and Experience
· Ph. D. Degree qualifications in water resources or related fields.
· International experience within the Nile Basin Countries
· Membership to a relevant professional body
Minimum Experience Required
· Twelve (12) years relevant experience with at least seven (7) years in a senior management position
· Experience in Project Management
· In-depth knowledge of transboundary water resources management, economics, and corporate governance and trends at national, regional and international levels, including in-depth understanding of river basin initiatives in the global marketplace
· The ability to represent all Nile Basin countries is critical for ensuring the effectiveness of the NBI and its Secretariat, as well as for maintaining the broad support and confidence of member states and the international community.
· Strong leadership and skills to foster teamwork; develop and motivate staff, resolve conflicts as well as ability to provide direction, guidance, momentum and vision in order to achieve organizational objectives
· Strong communication and presentation skills, including ability to develop proposals, concept papers, position papers as well as write reports and prepare relevant publications
· High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including ability to build alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity
· Strong expertise in strategic management, project planning and budgeting, resource management, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation
· Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, accounting packages, email, internet and the workflow process
· Ability to develop and implement performance management systems, giving candid performance feedback, rewarding desirable behaviours and providing support to professional development efforts linked to strategic objectives
· Ability to empower staff by removing obstacles hindering the achievement of strategic objectives, focusing on results and delivering what is promised, on time and within budget
· Ability to maintain high standards of ethics and integrity; establish straightforward, productive relationships; treating individuals with fairness and respect, demonstrating sensitivity for ethnic, cultural and gender differences
· Ability to initiate and implement planned organizational change, adapt to rapidly changing conditions as well as align programs in the appropriate direction with cohesiveness and a sense of urgency
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to create and maintain relevant networks and collaborative relations internally and externally
Ability to work in a multi-cultural and diverse environment
The Employee will be based at NBI Secretariat in Entebbe Uganda with possible travel within or out of the Basin Countries as may be deemed necessary by the Employer.
Period of Service
This is a Regional Position with employment duration of Six years renewable annually based on satisfactory performance, availability of funds and need for the services.
How to apply
Interested and Suitably qualified individuals are invited to visit the NBI website at www.nilebasin.org to download the full job description/TORs for the preferred position and should submit their applications electronically to the Executive Director at: email@example.com. Application/cover letters clearly indicating the title of the position and accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae should reach the Executive Director not later than 30th January, 2021 at 2:00pm. Please attach scanned copies of your Academic & professional certificates and testimonials. Your CV should clearly indicate full contacts of Three (3) referees and two (2) former employers excluding the current employer. Only short listed candidates will be contacted