Reports to: Country Director-Uganda
Supervises: Human Resource, Finance, Information & Technology
Location: Kampala Office with regular visits to the field
Building Tomorrow, an international social-profit organization equipping communities to support universal access to inclusive, quality education in sub-Saharan Africa, is seeking an exceptional, values-aligned Director of Operations (DOO). The DOO plays a critical role in the efficient and effective functioning of Building Tomorrow. This Senior Management leadership position is responsible for overseeing and managing the day-to-day operations of the Uganda Country Office, with a primary focus on supervising the HR, Finance, and IT departments. The Director of Operations reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with other Senior Leaders in Uganda and internationally, to ensure the operational department and organization’s strategic goals are met.
You may also like :
- United Nations recruitment 2023/2024 Online application form
- IOM Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
- Coca-Cola Recruitment 2023/2024 : Online application
1. Departmental Leadership and Supervision:
- Provide leadership, direction, and guidance to the HR, Finance, and IT departments.
- Supervise the HR, IT, and Finance Department leads to develop clear operational goals, monitor progress, and provide regular feedback.
- Foster a collaborative and positive work environment, encouraging professional growth and development among team members.
- Provide leadership to multiple teams and initiatives concurrently, ensuring seamless coordination.
2. Strategic Planning and Implementation:
- Develop and implement operational strategies that align with the organization’s mission and goals.
- Ensure operational plans support Building Tomorrow’s strategic objectives and contribute to its overall success.
- Oversee the development and implementation of systems for planning and operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Contribute to proposal-writing, reporting, monitoring and other fundraising initiatives.
- Maintain a solid understanding of all processes that happen within the organization.
3. Financial Management:
Working with the Finance Manager;
- Oversee financial planning, budgeting, and reporting processes in collaboration with the Finance Department.
- Monitor financial performance, and ensure that Financial reports are prepared in a timely manner.
- Ensure Audit responses that arise from Audit reports are handled in a timely manner inclusive of the Management letter.
- Ensure compliance with financial regulations, tax, statutory obligations and donor requirements.
4. Human Resources:
Working with the Human Resource Manager;
- Provide strategic direction to the HR department in the development and implementation of effective HR policies, procedures, and programs.
- Fosters a positive organizational culture, and promotes diversity and inclusion.
5. Information Technology:
Working with the IT Manager;
- Provides strategic guidance to the IT department in maintaining and enhancing BT Uganda’s technology infrastructure.
- Ensure data security, IT compliance, and effective use of technology to support organizational activities and security of the infrastructure within the organization.
6. Cross-Functional Collaboration:
- Collaborate with senior leaders to ensure smooth communication and coordination between departments and across offices.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and cross-functional efficiency.
- Participate in strategic decision-making discussions to provide operational insights.
7. Risk Management
- Identify and mitigate operational risks that could impact the organization’s performance.
- Develop and implement contingency plans and risk management protocols to address potential operational risks and mitigation plans to address the same.
8. Reporting and Communication:
- Prepare regular operational reports for the Country Director and the Board of Directors.
- Present monthly and quarterly updates on the Operations Department performance.
Qualifications, Education Background and Required Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Operations Management, or a related field;
- (Prefered) Master’s degree in Business Administration, Operations Management, Human Resource ,or Post Graduate Diploma in Business Administration or a related field is required.
- A minimum of 8 years or more experience in a Senior management role or in leadership, preferably within the non-profit sector supervising business operations.
- Strong understanding of operations, finance, HR, and IT functions.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strategic thinker with the ability to align operational activities with organizational goals.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to make decisions.
- Familiarity with nonprofit regulations, donor compliance, and ethical considerations.
- Proficiency in using relevant software and technology tools.
WE WANT YOU TO APPLY IF YOU…
- Have an unshakeable passion for education equality, believing access to an inclusive, quality education is a basic human right.
- Possess creative ingenuity, being progressive in your thinking and approaching challenges old and new. You are intrapreneurial and unafraid to pilot new ideas.
- Are relentlessly determined, refusing to accept the status quo, persistently striving to create new opportunities to reach more children, allowing them to reach their maximum potential.
- Believe in collaborative engagement. You believe more can be achieved together than alone, believe in the power of cultivating relationships, and see everyone as an equal partner.
The compensation package includes benefits and will be commensurate with experience. This is a senior management position based in Kampala, Uganda.
Submit your application on the careers page of the Building Tomorrow website before close of business, Thursday 21st September 2023 at 5pm EAT.
Building Tomorrow maintains a dedication to promoting gender equality, diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion, and recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of sex, religion, color, tribe, race, disability, or age.