Reporting To: Senior/ Procurement and Logistics Officer
Location: Kagadi with frequent travels to Mitooma, Kyenjojo, Mbarara, Rukungiri, Kanungu and Kisoro
Travel Required: 85%
The Driver/Mechanic will be responsible for driving and maintaining Raising The Village vehicle within and outside the programme areas as will be required by management. S/he will also be responsible for the maintenance of a fleet of motor cycles and all organization Generators. The Driver/Mechanic expected to adhere the policies of the organization..
• Drive and maintain the organization vehicle.
• Carry out basic Maintenance checks on the vehicle before each trip and at the end of the day
(battery water, fuel & oil levels, radiator water, Tyre pressure/condition, etc.) .
• Ensure the vehicle meets the maintenance schedule and informs the Supervisor of any faults as and when they occur.
• Initiate and carry out any basic repairs required on the vehicle; organize and coordinate larger repairs with reputable garages with supervisor’s approval.
• Exhibit reasonable care in handling the assigned vehicle in relation to other external factors like weather, traffic rules, road conditions and others and also keep the assigned vehicle in an as received basis, reporting any damages, need for repair and need for re-supplies as soon as they arise
• Maintain the vehicle logbooks in accordance with established administrative procedures.
• Ensure that vehicle movement log sheets are filled and signed by the officer using the vehicle at that moment.
• Exchange relevant information and maintain an open line of communication with colleagues and the supervisor;
• Keep track of insurance and other tax formalities;
• Carry out the daily vehicle check and inventory.
• Report immediately any damage or accident to the Supervisor following correct procedures in case of an accident, incident or complaint(s).
• Ensure the vehicle is kept clean and tidy always.
• Ensure that the vehicle is only used for RTV approved purposes.
• Respect traffic regulation as per the Road Transport and Traffic regulation.
• Take responsibility for collection, storage, transport and final delivery of all goods in the vehicle.
• Take responsibility for passenger safety by ensuring that Safety Belts are used at all times by all passengers.
• Ensure the First Aid Box is placed in the vehicle and stocked with the necessary items.
• Ensure that fuel utilization is within range as per motor vehicle policy.
• No answering phone calls or texting while driving.
• Able to manage driving long journeys
• During field trips, ensure that staff are availed adequate accommodation and meals through securing accommodation prior to arrival.
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to be a strong team player.
• Present professional conduct and exercise professional judgment.
• Excellent and demonstrable organizational skills.
• High levels of honesty, integrity and flexibility.
• Respectful of RTV’s code of ethics, including appropriate dress code.
• Able to manage personal schedule to not interfere with professional work, especially when preparing for long journeys.
• Ordinary Level Certificate is a MUST.
• Computer knowledge (Ms Word and Excel)
• Certificate in Motor Vehicle Technician Course Part II or its equivalent with demonstrable knowledge of motor vehicle electrical wiring.
• At least five (5) years’ experience as a Mechanic or Fleet Assistant with an International NGO.
• A minimum of valid driving licenses, with Classes; A, B and DL.
• Good command of English language, Swahili and any of the languages spoken in Western Uganda.
• Willing to travel to remote areas with poor road conditions, ability to work flexibly including weekends and willingness to travel and work in both urban (city) and rural locations and live in basic conditions.
• The driver requiring prescription glasses must wear them at all times when driving
• Very good knowledge and application of the country’s Traffic and road Transport Regulations.
• Accountable & responsive within areas of responsibilities.
How to apply
Please follow this link for the application procedure: https://forms.gle/Xxv6xtiAKNRiaYSG9