The USAID/Uganda Biodiversity for Resilience Activity(B4R) provides technical assistance to communities, the government of Uganda, and the private sector, to conserve and manage biodiversity in target ecosystems for lasting environmental and economic sustainability and increased community and household resilience. The Activity works closely with key government agencies including Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA) and the National Forest Authority (NFA) in four target landscapes of Kidepo Valley National Park area, Murchison Falls National Park area, Budongo Central Forest Reserve and Lake Mburo National Park area.
The Project Driver will drive, maintain, and manage the project vehicle for the USAID/Uganda Biodiversity for Resilience (B4R) Activity within the allocated project scope, under the supervision of the Field Operations Officer. The position is based in Kaboong district, Karamoja region.
- Drive the project vehicles with strict adherence to local traffic laws and in accordance to project rules and regulations pertaining to vehicles.
- Transport project staff and materials in Greater Kidepo Valley Landscape.
- Maintain the vehicle in a satisfactory condition, including weekly cleaning of the interior and exterior and periodic (quarterly) cleaning of the motor and chassis.
- Ensure that tires are in good working conditions at all time, and that spare tire is in good
- Ensure that vehicle usage log is updated on a daily basis and submitted on a monthly
- Ensure that fuel consumption report is submitted as
- Ensure regular maintenance of the vehicle, and that fluids (water, oil, fuel, washer liquid, etc.) levels are at required levels.
- Report any apparent malfunction to the
- Report any damage or accident to the supervisor
- Ensure that the vehicle is safely parked and locked when not in
- Carry out project errands as required.
Minimum required Education & Experience
- Secondary schooling desirable
- 5 years of experience in driving a project vehicle, preferably for a USAID or other donor project
- Valid driver’s license in good standing
- Defensive driving certificate will be a plus
- Ability to fluently communicate in English both verbally and written.
- Knowledge of and ability to speak the local language is required.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle
- Ability to write vehicle usage reports
- Computer skill in excel, word and use if internet
- Knowledge of the use of radio, email, telephone and other
- Trustworthy, high sense of responsibility, alertness; physical fitness on duty, emotional stability, neat and
- Good knowledge of the Project activity areas(Karamoja) and the current conditions of roads .
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds/temperaments.
- Flexibility to fit into often changing priorities.
- Quick and accurate visual judgment.