Conflict, economic decline and food insecurity in neighbouring countries such as Democratic Republic of Congo, Burundi, South Sudan have caused a large number of refugees to seek sanctuary in Uganda. As of December 2018, Uganda is hosting 1,190,922 refugees, the largest of any country in Africa.
NRC’s education activities in Uganda are currently centred on accelerated education for over-age primary-level learners, vocational skills training for youth and education in emergencies and support to formal Education. It does, however, support other education programmes as necessary. In order to manage these programmes in the West Nile region, a highly experienced, motivated and skilled Education Project Manager is required, that will be based in Adjumani.
The Education Project Manager will be responsible for the overall management of NRC’s Education projects in West Nile.
Specifcally, the role holder will be expected to:
- Manage NRC education activities in West Nile Uganda. This will be done by ensuring quality standards; conducting field visits and ensuring that project implementation is in compliance with the donors’ agreed requirements, global standards, NRC strategy & programme policy, government requirements, UNHCR policies; and managing assessments and evaluations for education projects;
- Develop and expand NRCs Education Programmes in West Nile Uganda in accordance with NRC strategy and policy documents. This includes development of project proposals based on needs assessments, expanding on existing interventions and identification of potential areas for expansion;
- Promote meaningful participation of the community, including children and youth, in project design and implementation, explore and implement new and better ways to assist the most vulnerable, especially girls, young women, children and youth with disabilities or special learning needs. In particular, integrate education projects with community-based child protection and psychosocial support interventions, through partners where necessary, and support the implementation, management and monitoring of NRC’s Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse in Education initiative throughout the education programme;
- Maintain overall responsibility for monitoring budgets; ensuring project implementation staff are adequately trained in tracking expenditure; working with finance teams to ensure accurate charging of expenditures to projects, monthly BVA monitoring and support to project teams to improve value for money and cost efficiency;
- Ensure the effective, accurate and timely monitoring, supervision, evaluation and reporting of projects; providing M&E support to implementation; gathering information for donor reports and compiling project documentation; identifying opportunities to undertake appropriate research into education in the context; and ensuring learning from M&E activities is fed back to staff and stakeholders and used for continuous quality improvement of programming;
- Collaborate with relevant local authorities, UNHCR and other key stakeholders, and work closely with the Uganda Education Specialist, and other education staff to contribute to continuous quality improvement of NRC’s education programming;
- Support the recruitment of technical staff across the programme and performance management through NRC performance management system;
- Establish a competency-based teacher training programme, defining training content through needs-based assessment of teachers, coordinating with partners, and delivering and monitoring training. In particular, establish long-term, classroom-based coaching/mentoring models, including through partnerships;
- Oversee the implementation of Child Protection& Child Safeguarding activities in all NRC learning spaces, education staff capacity needs in relation to this is identified and capacity building plan developed.
- Minimum three years of experience in a senior-level project implementation position in a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Experience working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Technical education expertise;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities;
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile;
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
For the full job description please use this link.
How to apply
Apply online at https://ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/