Innovation: Africa is Seeking Honest, Hard-Working, Problem Solvers in Uganda
Job Title: Field Electrical Engineer
Uganda Nationals Only: Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water for villages and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. With more than 300 completed water, solar, and agriculture projects, iA has provided over 1.7 million people in Africa with access to light, clean water, food security, and proper medical care. Visit www.innoafrica.org to learn more about our work.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Uganda team as a Field Electrical Engineer. This position reports to the local Program Manager in Mbale and is responsible for supervising solar contractors and assisting them with project stages, including sizing and designing the system, completing load and end-user assessments, installing, and monitoring iA’s solar electrification projects. Additionally, the Engineer assists the team’s water engineers to design and monitor solar water pumping systems.
Further, the Field Electrical Engineer is responsible for completing frequent monitoring visits to ongoing and existing solar projects, as well as conducting community needs-based assessments to identify prospective solar projects. The Electrical Engineer works closely with the communities and provides them with ongoing training to ensure project sustainability. As iA’s primary contact person to the community, the Engineer provides the steering committee with technical assistance and performs maintenance as needed.
Local Project Manager, Country Director, and Deputy Country Director in Israel
- Supervise and ensure proper installation and functionality of all solar systems.
- Complete needs-based evaluations to identify prospective solar and water projects.
- Conduct regular monitoring of all existing solar and water projects, and provide management with thorough and timely reporting.
- Work closely with iA’s in-house engineers to plan and design all solar project systems in accordance with the facility’s specific needs.
- Independently assess project maintenance needs and provide sustainable solutions.
- Conduct community technical training and sensitization.
- Monitor and complete detailed reports regarding ongoing installations, technical issues, system malfunctions, and suggested as well as ongoing maintenance works.
- Maintain regular contact with Innovation: Africa’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar technologies and remote monitoring systems.
- Mobilize and sensitize project beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees and small solar-related businesses to maintain the project.
- Support the Program Manager to establish and develop relationships with municipal officers, local leaders, and international stakeholders.
- Extensive experience installing sustainable off-grid solar electrification systems in rural villages.
- Passionate and dedicated team-player who possesses strong interpersonal skills, high attention to detail, and exceptional problem-solving abilities.
- Proven experience working closely with vulnerable communities.
Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with a concentration/emphasis in solar rural electrification, Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least 5 years experience managing and installing off-grid solar systems, including system designing.
- Previous experience working with community-based solar water pumping systems.
- Innovative and technologically oriented, with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software.
- Driver’s license.
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours.
- Native level written and spoken Lugisu, and/or other Bantu local language(s).
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Relocation to Mbale District is required
As an international organization that works across three continents, our teams are required to maintain daily communication, at flexible hours, with one another using technology solutions, including WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom. Our ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with a diverse international team located in various time zones.
- Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to email@example.com.
- The file name should be saved as your full name.
- Please include the position and country for which you are applying to work in the subject line of the email.