About the consultancy
Terre des Hommes Netherlands intends to engage the services of a finance professional to work towards achieving four main outcomes outlined in our Theory of Change; 1). Children are empowered, have access to and utilise spaces where they feel safe and their voices are heard, 2). Communities address sociocultural norms and other factors leading to child exploitation, and put in place structures that support children, 3). Duty bearers actively create spaces where children can be heard and contribute to coordinated action that prevents and responds to exploitation of children, 4). Professional bodies, intergovernmental organisations and human rights accountability mechanisms ensure that duty bearers effectively fulfill their commitments and obligations to protect children from exploitation.
Objective of the consultancy
The main objective of this consultancy is to facilitate a smooth running of the Uganda country office finance function. This will entail procurement, reporting, partner monitoring, logistics, administration and HR matters as well as work with both regional and HQ finance teams to ensure Uganda office and programs are delivered on budget, within scope and on time.
- Financial administration up-to-date and accurate (reporting on operations and programmes, cash-flows, etc.)
- Financial management (policy development and advice, quality control, budget and expenditure performance monitoring and advice, audits)
- Administrative management and processes (procurement and disposals, assets, Human Resources (recruitment / termination), legal advice)
- Support to TdH NL’s partners in the country (finance operations, monitoring, reporting, etc)
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Financial administration
- In close collaboration and guidance of the Country Manager, spearhead the development and consolidation of operational and programme budgets;
- Ensure that all financial commitments and transactions are executed timely and in line with established procedures as per the Finance Manual, both for operations and for programmes;
- Ensure that transactions are timely and accurately recorded in the financial administration (Quickbooks Online);
- Ensure that monthly financial reporting is done timely and accurately, to consolidate these and to report monthly, quarterly and annually to Regional Office (RO) and Head Office (HO), including analysis and recommendations;
- Ensure all donor financial reports are submitted in time and within the expected templates;
- Ensure that cash flows (funds transfers from HO to Country office and/or to partners) are requested timely;
- Ensure that the project audits are delivered on time. And that the supporting documents for the audits are accurate, allowable, allocable, complete and duly signed by respective persons;
- Identify potential bottlenecks in the work processes and/or financial systems; make improvements and undertake relevant actions, after approval by the Country Manager;
- Guard budgets, identify potential bottlenecks and propose measures to be taken;
- Solve problems of a deviant nature within set guidelines and procedures.
2. Grants and Financial management
- Take note of changes in accounting principles from within TdH NL or in the region, inform and advise, and implement these;
- Ensure and provide support to implementing partners including timely partner capacity assessments (PCATs) in terms of financial management;
- Spearhead contract development and support country office team in financial management of partner contracts as required;
- Initiate and coordinate internal and external audits of TdH NL operations and programmes;
- Point person for external auditors for financial statements, project and other audits;
- Advise and take appropriate action in cases of misappropriation of funds, fraud, etc;
- Ensure all Uganda projects are accurately uploaded in our monitoring system and updated regularly;
- Lead in budgets development for proposals and attend finance meetings internally and externally as may be required.
3. Administrative management and processes
- Ensure that the general running of the country office is up to desired standards;
- Coordinate procurement processes, according to procedures and approved procurement plans (tendering, pre-qualifications.);
- Ensure that all ICT hardware and software is according to TdH NL standards and serviced and maintained;
- Manage and maintain up-to-date HR administration;
- Provide legal advice, through selected lawyers and other contacts.
4. Support to Uganda country team and partners
- Update the Uganda Country team and partners on any relevant developments in terms of finance and administration, and build capacity as required;
- Provide support and advice to country office on general office running matters;
- Any other support and/or advice to country offices as may arise in the area of finance and administration.
Perform any other duties as relevant for the country programme as assigned and as can reasonably be expected from the position
Knowledge and Experience
- Relevant degree, in finance or business administration up to Masters degree and CPA (K) and/or equivalent
- Experience of at least 5 years in financial management including multi-level budgeting, reporting, monitoring, financial analysis, quality control and auditing
- Experience of at least five years in administrative processes, including logistics and procurement, HR, legal affairs, etc.
- Good working knowledge of accounting practices in an (I)NGO
- Experience working in similar positions and managing finance function for projects funded by USAID, EU, UN, foundations among others
- Strong partnership and grants management experience
- Good ICT knowledge and skills, including financial and accounting software
- Knowledge of and interest in the social, religious and political structures of the region and how these relate to the organisation.
- Excellent communication skills, i.e. structured thinking and presentation
- Team-building, networking and alliance building skills
- Excellent written and verbal command of the English language
- Able to plan and organise well based on priorities
How to Apply
Interested candidates are advised to take note of the full vacancy description, which can be downloaded by clicking on the button below.The description gives more information about the position and instructions on how to apply.
Please submit your application to email@example.com no later than by 27th January 2023 1700hrs (EAT). The application email subject should be: Finance Consultant, Uganda.