Food for the Hungry (FH/U) is a Christian international relief and development organization that has been working in Uganda since 1989. FH is currently operating programs in Asia, Latin America and Africa with support offices in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, United States of America and Japan. FH’s primary goal is to end all forms of poverty World-wide. In Uganda, FH is operational in the Districts of Adjumani, Kitgum, Lamwo, Kween, Mbale, Namutumba and Amudat Districts implementing programs in four main sectors of Education; Food Security and Livelihoods; Health/Nutrition and Disaster Risk Reduction; with the Head office located in Kampala.
The Finance Graduate Trainee position is an opportunity for Coaching, Learning and preparing for filling up vacant positions that may arise in line with justifiable organizational needs. The primary aim of the graduate program is to ensure mutual benefit for the trainee and the organization, the Finance Graduate Trainee will be responsible for supporting the Finance Assistant in Preparing Accounts Journals, Filing of Finance documents, reviewing Petty Cash transactions, Preparing Payment Vouchers and handling correspondences between finance and other departments. He/she will help to ensure compliance with FH Policies and Procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Key Result #1 Financial Management
You may also like:
- African Union (AU) Recruitment : Open Jobs/Application
- USA Embassy Recruitment : Open Jobs/Application
- 10 Easiest Countries to Obtain a Work Visa
- UNDP Recruitment : Open Jobs/Application
- Ensure ALL old finance documents are arranged and scanned for Archiving before destruction.
- Maintain the Kampala Office Petty Cash ensuring payments are made on approved requisitions.
- Support in preparation of monthly Petty Cash and Program Advance journals for Kampala support office transactions.
- Timely preparation of payment requisitions, ensuring all deductions have been well calculated and before payments are made.
- Ensuring that all invoicing information in the Odoo system is well captured before forwarding to the RFOs for posting.
- Review Petty Cash transactions and ensure that they are properly coded.
- Review and Track Prepaid Fuel Account.
- Ensures that all cash receipts are deposited to the Bank within 24hrs of receipt.
- Monthly reconciliation of the WHT and the Accruals balances ensuring they are up to date.
- Filing Withholding Tax Returns.
- Manage the retrieving of all information (hard copies) to ensure clean audit and program statutory audits, internal organizational audits and donor driven audits.
- Support the timely review and organizing of staff accountabilities
- Support in scanning documents for regional/other review.
Key Result #2: Administration
- Ensure there is Proper Records Management especially filing of all FHU finance documents at all times and proper finance stores management.
- Maintain a payment tracker for time taken for a payment to be processed.
- Act as the finance focal point in liaison with other departments to ensure that relevant supplies, equipment and information required for Finance operations is in time.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Regional Finance Officers
- Ensure there is compliance with FHU finance policies and procedures
Education & Experience
- Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in Finance and accounting or related discipline from a recognized university or institution.
- Excellent computer skills in MS word, excel, PowerPoint, Access and Internet.
- Vibrant personal relationship with Christ , understands and applies FH Foundational Principles and Vision and Mission
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with colleagues
- Effectively and efficiently manages all resources entrusted to him/her for work purposes
- Maintains an attitude and behavior in accordance with FH values and principles
- Complies to all finance, personnel, procurement and administrative policies of FH
Proficiency in spoken and written English is essential.
How to Apply
Safeguarding & Protection Clause:
FH strives to provide an environment free from Sexual exploitation, abuse, harassment and Fraud in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against Sexual exploitation, abuse, harassment and Fraud. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the FH Heartbeat, Anti -Fraud, Safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Food for the Hungry Safeguarding, Anti-Fraud & HR policy. In line with this we will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
Disclaimer: It has come to our attention that several agencies or persons, are claiming to be acting on Food for the Hungry’s (FH)behalf in recruiting or facilitating the recruitment of personnel. FH does not outsource its recruitment process to any organization or agency which, through website postings, mass e-mail messages or otherwise claims to be doing recruitment on its behalf. FH does not solicit money for any part of its recruitment processes including short-listing, interviews, background, and/or medical check-ups. FH will not be responsible for such fraudulent correspondence or any loss of money or theft which may result from anyone engaging in any fraudulent recruitment activity.
FHU is an equal opportunity employer. All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by Clearly stating the position applied for in the Subject line and submitting only electronic copies in one pdf file not more than 25MB of an application letter, a detailed CV, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant testimonials/certificates, names/contact details of three referees, addressed to:
The Human Resources Manager, Food for the Hungry Uganda Email: firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Thursday 1st December, 2022 at 4:30pm. Consider your application unsuccessful if you don’t hear from us by 8th December 2022.