ABOUT MASTERCARD FOUNDATION
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services, and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators, young people, and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
If you are an experienced Finance professional looking to increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to the Regional Head of Finance & Accounting, the role will support the Programs teams and partners to oversee all financial aspects of program partnerships including due-diligence, budgeting, controls, contracting, financial reporting and analysis. The role will also act as the primary Finance contact for Program teams in-country.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Manage the full cycle of Finance program partner contracts, i.e. Expression of Interest (EOI), proposal, contract approval, conduct due diligence, budget reviews, program execution and monitoring, and program completion.
- Guide and train external program partners on all financial aspects of contract execution, including budgeting and reporting, due diligence, financial controls.
- Provide financial expertise and advice internally to the Foundation’s Programs team on the development and implementation of comprehensive programming strategies.
- Provide ad-hoc data and support for learning and evaluation activities, including analysis of program outputs and value-for-money.
- Maintain accurate and timely financial documentation and data, and report on contract commitments, disbursements, and cash flow projections.
- Ensure the managements grants systems is updated in a timely & Accurate manner with the correct financial information for each program.
- Ongoing monitoring program financial performance post kick off (Deliver phase) to ensure foundation resources are deployed as envisaged and there are sufficient funding & financials controls in place to support the delivery expected program outcomes.
- Ensure there are adequate business controls with the programs to ensure the safeguarding of the foundation’s assets.
- Accountable for compliance with local and international financial regulations and requirements.
- Provide periodic reporting on partner finance matters as determined by the partner contracts and ensure follow up actions’ items are closed as required.
- Troubleshooting and management of financial issues that arise during program implementation.
- Lead comprehensive program assessment processes ensuring quality control of the plans (Accountable for the quality of the Due diligence assessment).
- Lead the assessment of the organization capacity assessments especially as relate to the financials capacity of potential partners.
- Drive annual due diligence review process and updating yearly workplans with Programs teams and partners.
- Perform due diligence procedures on partners (i.e. evaluating financial statements, financial capacity, watchlist screening).
- Ensure programs comply with local regulatory requirements.
- Provide Financial Information & insights as pertains to program finance to support decision making.
- Provide input into the Foundation financial planning & budgeting routines within the required timelines and guidance as provided by the Financial planning & Analysis team.
- From time to time manage analysts and interns who support them in delivery of the program finance tasks; assign work and review outputs of the resources.
- Any other tasks/Projects as maybe required from time to time.
- Identify opportunities to improve and standardize processes within Finance.
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor’s degree or full accounting qualification is required
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in financial roles within large and/or global organizations. Exposure to different cultures and work environment specially francophone areas.
- Strong Analytical skills with a high level of attention to detail.
- Project Management Competence.
- Working knowledge of Financial Internal Controls Management.
- Financials Reporting & Analysis experience including Budgeting, Financial Forecasting.
- Problem solving skills and good influencing skills.
- Fluent in English and French.
- Able to Identify & Mitigate Operational, Financial and Business Risks.
- Able to generate Routine Accounting Records and Financial Reports plus determine and apply correct accounting treatments.
- Excellent communicator, (excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills) with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures,
- Results driven and self-disciplined, with a strong sense of team and common purpose to achieve ambitious goals.
- Flexible, adaptable, intellectually curious and open, you are comfortable with ambiguity, receptive to new ideas and willing to learn and change.
- Able to formulate and develop a new or creative approach to a problem
- Proficient in MS Office applications, particularly Excel.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
Deadline for Applications is March 01, 2022.