Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Internal Job Grade –E2
Contract type – Fixed Term
Reporting to – Finance Officer
Staff reporting to this post – None
Location – Kyangwali Refugee Settlement
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage finance and logistics/procurement functions at the field office to ensure proper utilization of organizational resources and timely financial reporting. The Finance/Logistics Assistant will be exemplary in his commitment to Oxfam Novib core values, upholding Oxfam principles and policies.
- Maintain the office petty cash and make approved payments
- Preparation of monthly imprest reports for submission to the Finance Officer
- Preparation of project financial reports in collaboration with the Finance Officer.
- Support the partners to develop and maintain project financial reporting templates and based on monthly visits provide advice on the improvement of financial management systems of partners
- Support budget preparation process and analysis as and when required
- Support on the implementation of grant closure requirements as per policies
- Participate in project and organizational audits
- Ensure timely and eligible accountability of staff project/travel advance
Procurement and Fleet Management
Handle Local procurement activities of the office according to Oxfam Novib procurement regulations.
- Ensure that there is an approved purchase request for all purchases with valid project/fund numbers dully filled out before any purchase is made
- Study the approved purchase requests and raise any unclear issues with regards to specifications, delivery times with the respective requesting officers & partners.
- Following receipt of goods, attach all procurement documentation and submit for preparation of payment request.
- Process and forward field purchase requests which are beyond the field threshold to the Logistics Office in Kampala.
- Support in the preparation of Fuel and Inventory reports for submission to the Logistics Officer
- Monitor and manage fuel usage for the field and office generators. Make sure a detailed report to this effect is submitted to the Logistics officer monthly.
- Support drivers in compilation of their monthly reports.
Asset and Stores Management
- Regular monitoring of office equipments’ use such as printers, servers, office phones and desk top computers and conduct regular assets verification with support of finance officer.
- Monitor field level distributions and ensure PHP and PHE teams comply to stores management procedures at settlements level.
- Support in compilation of GRNs, delivery notes, Invoices and supplier payments.
- Ensure that distribution lists are returned and well filed.
- Ensure that an assets and inventory register is in place to record details of assets, inventory users, transfer, locations, donors, asset numbers and other details as required by the organization.
- Maintaining regular supply of office supplies and inventories and where possible request for replenishments.
- Support stores management, (office and field) receiving and dispatching of goods out of office premises/field for staff use, as well as maintaining bin cards.
- Maintain proper records and submit accurate monthly stock reports
- Ensure that all safety measures in terms of Fire extinguishers, lightening arrestors, sand buckets and fire blankets are readily available in the office premises.
- Facilitate hotel and guesthouse bookings for OXFAM staff and visitors, follow-up the presentation of monthly bills and ensure that approved payment request is submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure Cleanliness of Oxfam Kyangwali office & Supervision of the guards & Cleaner while making sure their payment requests are processed promptly & accurately.
- Monitor the Usage of Utilities to ensure cost effectiveness and efficiency.
- coordinates and prepare staff work and leave schedules and support in documenting of absences including staff timesheets
- Organize replies to correspondence (email and letters), maintaining a list of key dates (e.g. expiry of employment / service contracts, registration requirements, audits, public holidays, visits, etc.
- Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values (click here) as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights (click here).
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or other related field;
- 2-3 years handling Finance & Logistics roles in an INGO;
- Excellent knowledge and experience in core financial management, donor-funded programmes, Local tax laws, International accounting standards practices
- Integrity; honesty; interpersonal relations skills, Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), Planning, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Computer skills, particularly with spreadsheets and accounting softwares
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
- Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
- Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Key Behavioral Competencies (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
|Decisiveness||We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.|
|Influencing||We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.|
|Humility||We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.|
|Relationship Building||We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.|
|Listening||We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.|
|Mutual Accountability||We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.|
|Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity||We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.|
|Systems Thinking||We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.|
|Strategic Thinking and Judgment||We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.|
|Vision Setting||We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.|
|Self-Awareness||We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.|
|We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support.|
How to apply
Please follow the links below to access the detailed Job Description and submit your application by 24th November, 2020.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
https://bit.ly/2UBfXiN – Internal (staff) applicants
https://bit.ly/36HIJnx – External applicants