The Democratic Governance Facility (DGF) is recruiting for the positions of: Finance Manager
Background of the DGF
The Democratic Governance Facility (DGF) is a multi-donor funding mechanism aimed at
strengthening governance, promoting and protecting human rights, enhancing access to justice, and improving accountability in Uganda by working with state and non-state institutions at national, regional and district levels throughout the country. It is funded by Austria, Denmark, European Union, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden. Read more about DGF here: www.dgf.ug.
Job Title: Finance Manager
Duty Station: Democratic Governance Facility Management Unit (FMU) in Kampala.
Main purpose of the job:
Reporting to the Senior Financial Management Advisor (SFMA), the Finance Manager (FM) will be responsible for undertaking partner pre-grant assessment, partner budget monitoring, financial reporting and capacity building of partners in line with DGF business procedures.
1. Conduct pre-grant assessments and field site visits to ascertain the financial capacity of the potential implementing partner.
2. Provide advice to programme staff and implementing partner organizations on the financial management and reporting requirements in line with the DGF business procedures, Partnership agreement /MOU, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and relevant laws.
3. Review implementing partner and consultancy budgets for compliance with DGF business procedures, accuracy and reasonableness, and make recommendations to ensure that alignment with the partnership agreement.
4. Carry out quarterly review of financial reports to ensure compliance with agreed activities and allocation of funding.
5. Review the relevant documentation supporting financial transactions of the implementing partner organizations to ensure that they are in line with the DGF business procedures, the work plan and budget, laws of Uganda, the Partnership Agreement and organizational business procedures.
6. Follow up on recommendations arising from institutional and project audits of implementing partner organisations.
7. Review requisitions for accuracy and proper supporting documentation before approval, and raise invoices and LPOs based on approved requisitions and track the disbursements.
8. Identifying skills gaps in implementing partner organisations and where necessary provide induction, orientation and technical assistance in critical areas such as: book keeping, budget development and tracking and basic financial management in line with DGF financial requirements and expectations.
9. Conduct joint monitoring visits with programme staff to implementing partner organizations and prepare monitoring visit reports for approval by the SFMA as well as discuss the findings with the staff of the implementing partner organizations for corrective action.
10. Maintain an updated register for monitoring visit and approved partner financial reports in accordance with the DGF filing and storage procedures.
11. Perform any other ad hoc duties as assigned by the SFMA and Head of Finance and
Administration including standing in for colleagues in the finance department in case they
12. Exercise due diligence and confidentiality about information and procedures related to DGF and DGF implementing partners.
1. A university degree in accounting with a professional accounting qualification such as ACCA, CPA or their equivalent;
2. At least three year’s experience in audit especially in the NGO sector;
3. Experience in review of financial reports and budgets;
4. Experience of local and international accounting policies, procedures, standards and relevant laws;
5. Strong experience in problem solving and analytical skills;
6. Excellent command of written and spoken English including report writing;
7. Ability to engage constructively with different interlocutors to ensure effective delivery of assignments;
8. Managing multiple priorities;
9. Awareness of the market and experience collaborating on procurement;
10. Knowledge in NAVISION;
11. High levels of integrity and honesty;
12. Approachable and trustworthy;
13. Systematic and structured approach to work;
14. Resilience – working well under pressure;
15. Attention to detail and ability to produce high quality work;
16. Strong interpersonal skills;
17. The ability of working with a diverse team.
To access detailed job requirements please click: Job Description for Finance Manager
Suitably qualified candidates interested in the above position should send application letter and Curriculum Vitae including names, email addresses, and telephone contact details of three (3) work related referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please clearly indicate the job title in the email subject line. Do not attach academic documents,
Address your applications to:
The Head of Facility
Democratic Governance Facility
P.O. Box 8772, Kampala – Uganda
Closing Date: Thursday 26th November 2020.