Our Client has been operating in Uganda for over 16 Years, and they provide financial services, with a specialty in providing salary loans to a wide range of customers.
Our client’s success and continuous growth is from their instinctive, conviction-based, principled and entrepreneurial approach to everything they do. This approach is reflected in their mission; to provide financial solutions suited to the needs of an inclusive and broad customer base; embracing technology, product leadership and innovation and so becoming the leading developing market financial solutions provider.
About the role
Reporting to the CEO, the Finance Manager will provide overall management of the finance function; preparation of the organization’s strategic and financial plans; provide financial reports including statutory reporting.
The role holder will also be responsible for ensuring submission of tax returns to relevant Regulatory Authorities and coordinate all Audit activities including but not limited to regulator Inspections ensuring compliance to IFRS, as well as setting Prudential guidelines and Financial principles.
- Strategic Management
- Provide financial leadership and guidance and ensure that an appropriate financial policy framework (financial systems, policies and procedures) is in place to guide the company’s decision making
- Conduct, review, evaluate and implement, in coordination with other senior executives and managers, revenue growth and cost-reduction opportunities
- Preparation of strategic/long range plans, as may be required by the Board or other stakeholders from time to time
- Prepare and submit financial reports to the Board on the Company’s direction and growth
- Own financial performance on Revenue, Profits, Cash flow
- Provide proactive financial leadership for the Country by developing analytical and financial insight for all important long and short-term decisions, including resource allocation outcomes and processes, Country investments, and external business partnerships
- Establish and manage Country financial control processes, including quarterly and annual financial planning, goal setting, and target monitoring, as well as budgetary and purchasing controls
- Deliver revenue and profit targets by meeting and exceeding budget numbers in order to ensure the desired growth for the organization
- Champion Fuel for Growth and Cost Optimization: Deliver cost reductions in all areas. Keep staff costs flat and overall deliver significant improvement in margins
- Set up processes for financial planning & analysis and accounting for the Uganda office in line with those of group
- Identify sufficient opportunities in order to manage and cover for business risks
- Drive Operational Excellency
- Drive working capital management by managing inventories, accounts receivables, payables and cash in order to ensure effective cost management
- Pursue cost optimization by ensuring that entire procurement of the company happens at the most optimal cost and delivers real value for money
- Drive governance and legal compliance through regular audits
- Manage all Country relations with external auditors and stakeholders, and prepare country functions for all relevant regulatory and tax audits by ensuring adherence to necessary financial, administrative and corporate compliance standard and 100% compliance to statutory requirements
- Drive local reporting and ensure on time, accurate submissions while ensuring compliance with organization guidelines
- Ensure compliance framework is adhered to by proactively managing internal audits, closing any findings timeously and implementing suggestions / recommendations as applicable
- Drive automation of processes to align with Global and maximize efficiencies
- Ensure timely submission of all tax returns
- Maximize tax planning opportunities through legally compliant mechanisms
- Team Management
- Coach, manage and develop the teams with respect to their performance by deploying effective people strategies and processes in order to achieve team efficiency and effectiveness
- Finance Management and Control
- Oversee the Company’s financial accounting, monitoring and reporting systems;
- Prepare IFRS compliant, consolidated monthly/quarterly/annual management accounts as well as bi-annual results for release to the market
- Develop financial and operational reports for company management and Global
- Prepare statutory, consolidated annual financial statements, compliant with IFRS and the Companies Act
- Monitor the accounting & reporting developments to IFRS
- Resolve complex accounting issues and assist other personnel in resolving financial issues
- Review general ledger on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy of posting
- Assist in reviewing, formulating and implementing sound financial policies that minimize financial risk
- Provide support in reviewing and putting in place efficient, sound and cost-effective procurement processes, practices and procedures in compliance with the Company policies
- Prepare relevant management reports required by the stakeholders
- Ensure prompt review of accounts, investigate variances and set recovery plans.
- Be responsible for the overall control of all financial transactions and audit systems
- Work closely with group on projects, monthly/quarterly/full year reporting requirements and other deliverables
- Track monthly OPEX spend and ensure monthly OPEX reports
- Reports on budget variances
- Authorizes expenditure within DOA
- Take overall responsibility for the asset register
- Provide financial information to external business partners (banks, insurance broker, auditors etc.)
- Intercompany reconciliations
- Assist with quarterly audit reviews and annual financial statement audit
- Working with external consultants as and when required on matters requiring external expert advice, ongoing litigations
- Financial Planning and Analysis
- Ensure timely preparation of the annual budget and forecasts and analysis of expenditure for different departments and track planned activities
- Ensure timely production of management budgetary control reports and highlight budget variances in order to meet the Company’s annual and long-term objectives
- Lead the revenue forecasting process and engage with cross functional teams to ensure delivery of the plan
- Design, maintain and develop efficient internal control systems to record and protect company assets and liabilities
- Implement and maintain financial management information systems
- Board Management, Lead finance discussions with the Board and any relevant board required activities related to a Finance Manager role as well as reporting.
- Develop and manage key stakeholder relationships by working closely with them and communicating on a regular basis in order to achieve the strategic objectives in a smooth and effective manner
Who we are looking for:
A Self-Starter– Demonstrates strategic leadership; broad understanding of key trends and value drivers of the business. Enables change through personal ownership and a constant drive to improve.
One who takes Initiative – Makes decisions effectively based on facts, context, and risks. Acts with urgency through proactively involving self and others. Role model who fosters responsibility and holds self and others accountable.
Customer Centric – Builds a culture of customer focus, driving consistent efforts to “go above and beyond” customers’ expectations. Inspires and supports others to invest time in building productive long term relationships.
Leadership ability – Develops high performance and hybrid teams through clear expectation; driven by a win-win partnership.
Innovative – Supports and encourages innovation throughout teams and organization. Passionate about delivering fresh perspectives through systematic approaches
You have the cultural fit to work with the team, if
- You are 100% values driven
- You are a great team player, people talk about you being helpful and collaborative
- You are able to work independently and bring results in an unstructured environment
- You enjoy diversity and you are generally optimistic about the future
Relevant Education and experience:
For the above position, the successful applicant should have the following:
- University degree in a Business related area from a recognized institution.
- Professional qualification in CPA/ACCA or an equivalent is a requirement.
- Master’s degree in Finance or a Business related field is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years’ Banking experience of which one must have had 5 years’ experience in Senior management role within the Finance Function.
- Sound experience in Financial and Management reporting in accordance with IFRS/IAS.
- A good understanding of market & operational risk should be demonstrated.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills; must also have strong attention to detail.
- Effective business writing and professional communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated competencies in championing high performance.
- Ability to work closely with various Business Units whilst retaining independence